Thursday, September 15, 2011

{ Slow Cooking Thursdays }

NOTE:  I've received some emails asking if they can  still post normal recipes because they don't have a slow cooking one at hand.  The answer is YES.  Post the recipe, just when you add the link, in brackets put a * so that we know it's not a slow cooking recipe. :)


Wow it's been forever since I've done these and I have to admit, I miss it so so much that I'm thrilled to be going back to my roots, so to speak.

If you've been one of my long time readers, you may remember the first ever Slow Cooking Thursday, back in 2006.  Ahhhhh :)



Do you have some great crockpot recipes to share, or perhaps you're looking for some delicious ones to give you a reason to pull out the ol' crockpot?  

From today until the end of the year, Cooking Thursday is going back to it's roots.  It's ALL about Slow Cooking, especially as the cooler temperatures come around.  So pull out your family favorites, or share a recipe that you've been meaning to make or just sit back and take note because I'm sure we'll have tons of amazing mouthwatering meals to add to our menus.

Crockpot Grinders
Crockpot Grinders
Adapted from: Big Red Kitchen
one round loaf Artisan Italian Bread
slices provolone
slices ham
pepperoni
jalapeno peppers
onion slices
oregano
Slice bread 13 times, almost all the way through but leaving 1/2 inch space at the bottom. (the only bread I could find was presliced, but all I did was made sure not to push the cheese and the meats all the way to bottom)


Crockpot Grinders 

Layer slices of cheese and top with ham, pepperoni, onion slices, jalapeno peppers and then sprinkle on some oregano. Repeat until you have enough filling for as many sandwiches as you’re making.

Crockpot Grinders 

Fold each bundle in half and tuck down between every other slice of bread. Now it may look like the sandwich is starting to separate, all I did was put some heavy mason jars on either side to keep it from opening all together.

Crockpot Grinders 

Once all done, wrap the whole bread tightly with foil….two times. So double the foil.
In the crockpot, I made some balls out of foil and placed them on the bottom, it’s just so the sandwich doesn’t sit directly on the base.

Crockpot Grinders 

Pour in 1/4 cup of water, then place the sandwich on top of the foil balls (haha, sorry it always makes me laugh).
Cover and cook on low for 2 to 4 hours. To serve, just unwrap from the foil, separate the sandwiches and enjoy.

Crockpot Grinders 

The center sandwiches are pretty big so I sliced those in half.

Crockpot Grinders 

I served mine with a simple salad.  Got big thumbs up from the family :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a cool idea! I'm gonna try it! Thanks Sandra. Donna