Thursday, May 03, 2018

{ Bible Journaling - Time to get real }



We are all CREATIVE because we were CREATED in the image of the CREATOR!


WOW!!!  Talk about a thought provoking and humbling quote.

I heard this quote this morning, while listening to one of the videos in my latest adventure.  I say adventure because it truly is an exciting thing for me.

The past few weeks, I have talked about the spiritual journey I'm on, how hard it's been and how I'm making changes in my life.  One of those changes is all about reading the Bible more and being consistent with it.

But there's a slight problem, and this is where I am going to get brutally honest and real with you all.

I struggle to read the Bible!!!

There, I said it.

I've read pieces here and there over the years, but I'm not a daily reader, I haven't yet read the whole Bible, and mostly because I just don't know how to read it, where to start, how to stick with it and not get bored.



As a Christian, the thought of even admitting out loud that I find some of the books in the Bible, boring, is something that makes me cringe.  I shouldn't be saying that, that goes against everything in me, but I'm also honest and open and I can't lie about it or pretend that I'm one of those wonderful women who can quote scripture easily, reads the good book every day, has read it all from cover to cover and so on.

I would love to be able to say that I am just like that, and who knows, maybe one day I will be at that point, but right now, in the present, and in the past?  Yeah, it's not like that at all.

The part where I've struggled the most, is thinking that I need to be reading from the very beginning in Genesis, and just going along like a story.  I've tried, trust me, and I fail every.single.time.

Why?  Well because I approach it all wrong.

Recently, I sat at my dining table with my mother and father in law, two amazing faithful God loving Christians who both know the Bible intimately.  I asked them for help, for suggestions on how to read it, how to start reading it and how to get past the dry parts of the Bible, which for me are the very beginning books containing the families, and all the names and so forth.

After speaking to them and getting great advice, I also turned to the internet and researched dozens of websites, trying to find what spoke to me or helped me get past this obstacle.

Here's what I've learned:

  • You don't HAVE to start in Genesis, matter of fact, most people suggest starting in John or Romans, or Proverbs.
  • Stop thinking of the Bible as intimidating.
  • Pray to the Lord for understanding, for Him to show you what you need to take from that scripture.
  • Take it slow, start with a few minutes a day and then increase
  • I love History and so I've decided that I need to approach the Bible in that sense, for me reading it as a beautiful History account, is what I think will help me stay on track.
I believe that the Lord guides us to certain websites or people, when we need it the most, and that is exactly what happened yesterday.

Bible Journaling

While researching Bible reading, I happened upon a Bible Journaling Group and Convention, and I knew immediately that is exactly what I needed to help me along.

I signed up for the Convention, which by the way, is free, and I took the plunge.  I'm a very creative person, always have been and I had never thought to join the two things.....Creativeness and Bible Reading.

I only wish I had come across it before and started sooner, but never mind that.  I got my Study Bible which as empty blank borders on the side for notes or whatever else you wish, and this morning, after sitting down to watch Day One's Interviews and Tutorials, I started my journaling.

Bible Journaling

I've had this Bible for years, probably close to 10 at least.  It's just been sitting there, waiting for me to start reading, to pick it up and love it and give it the attention it rightfully deserves.  And I didn't.....until today.

Bible Journaling

I've scribbled on some of the borders, just a verse that stuck with me while looking through.  Some people draw and color and paint right on their main Bible, but I just can't bring myself to do that, so I'll stick with the border until I can buy myself a proper Journaling Bible, which I am hoping to do maybe this weekend. 

Bible Journaling

In the meantime, I have some pretty scripture print outs that I'm going to be coloring in and then just adding to the books of the Bible where they belong.  Like the one above, and the one below.

Bible Journaling

Sitting at the dining table this morning with my colored pencils and Bible, just coloring, reading and starting this project, was one of the best mornings I've had in a very long time.

I am so excited to read now, and I can't wait for tomorrow's convention videos to be emailed to me.

In the meantime, I have made the decision to start reading John and then go from there, actually my reading plan is as follows:

John
Romans
Psalms
Proverbs
Genesis


I'll be sure to share as I go along, and if I get a journaling Bible this weekend, I'll most definitely show you all.  I'll also let you know how this is going for me and maybe show some of my journaling pages as I move through the Bible.

I'm ever so thankful to the Lord for guiding me through this process, I really could not do it on my own. :)

3 comments:

Simply Quaint said...

I struggle as well with this category in life, I recently started going to church, soul searching I guess it is....I feel I need a better connection to god as well, but just don’t know the right path, I’ve never read the bible and have a hard time even understanding it, I’ll have to look into the program you mentioned....I just love the doodles you’ve designed around the pages, I don’t even have a bible....sad....I’ll look into that as well.....blessings to you and your new journey in life........I’m excited for myself as well as you.....

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

There are so many wonderful 'gems' in the Bible. Psalms and Proverbs are two great books. John is another great one. I have a large print KJV that I've had for years and it is all marked up with notes, dates, underlinings. It is interesting reading dates and notes as to what was happening in my life at the time. Scripture speaks to me over and over again no matter how many times I've read it.

I found a beautiful journaling Bible online that I'd like to have, but it's not in large print. It is the "ESV Illuminated Bible, Art Journaling Edition (TruTone, Burgundy)".

Ask Jesus for guidance, read slowly, enjoy and be encouraged ~ FlowerLady

threesidesofcrazy said...

I have always kept a journal (a spiral bound book with an angel on the cover) of my Bible adventures - verses and thoughts I have found along the way that talked to me.

We all "need" to find different things and I believe we can find it in our own way through the Bible. My own interactive journey began years ago when I read the "LEFT BEHIND" series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. In case you have not read it, they took Revelations and wrote a contemporary story to explain it which got me hooked on learning more because it spoke in "current" language.

So, I guess I started at the end and worked my way backwards.