Saturday, May 02, 2020

{ Quick trip to Oklahoma }

_MG_8257

For those that don't know, we live very close to the state of Oklahoma, and though we have family who live in the State, we don't go up very often, unless needed to do so.

My husband's childhood home is in Lawton.

It is a house that I love, a house that brings back a plethora of wonderful memories, many involving my father in law who passed away two months, almost to the day, before Nicholas was born.

_MG_8258

I remember many road trips from Idaho to Oklahoma, some when Jasmine was a toddler, some when I was but a few weeks away from having Nicholas.  Family get togethers, funerals, good times and extremely sad ones too, but it's that home that when you walk in you immediately feel peace and want to be nowhere else but there.

Anyway, long story short, my mother in law needed some things done at the house and as you know she's been fighting breast cancer for many years and recently, her husband Ken had heart surgery.  With everything going on at the moment, we don't want them driving around and leaving their house, and it's much closer for Curt and I to pop up there, than it would be for them to make an almost 5 hour drive.

We don't mind, we love being able to help and as I said above, it's a house that we love going back to.

_MG_8259

_MG_8261

One thing we enjoy, is the drive up to the house.  Love driving through the greenest of fields, cattle, ponds, old barns and a vast prairie as far as the eye can see.

Some of the most beautiful land to drive through.

_MG_8264

_MG_8267

Friday morning we took a quick drive up to the house, to take care of some business for my mother in law.  We weren't sure how long it would take so we went prepared.  I took my laptop where I could work on editing some photos or blog posts, my review book to read, and even my grocery list and menu plan since I needed to get groceries as well.

_MG_8268

What probably would have taken a whole day was actually done in about an hour, so we packed up and returned back home. Though I did drag Curt to the grocery story with me, we went to the commissary on base.

I will tell you that it felt so good to be back in a grocery store shopping  A lot o the items were back in stock and aside from a few things like rice, beans and pasta whose shelves continue being quite bare, everything else was back on the shelves, including toilet paper.

One thing I have no been able to buy at all since March, is rubbing alcohol, which is slightly frustrating because as you know, I make all my household cleaners and fabric deodorizers.  I use vinegar and rubbing alcohol for that, so have had to go back to buying cleaning supplies.  Yuck!

But this too shall pass.

Today has been a day of basic household chores, got all my laundry done, dishes, worked in the veggie garden a bit and then we all got in the pool for about an hour in the afternoon.  It honestly feels amazing to have a pool that you can just jump into at any time, have a quick swim and enjoy the fresh air.

We were only in for about an hour, it is extremely windy outside and my allergies don't do well with that at all, I actually need to go take my Allegra now.  I took a Singulair this morning but it's done nothing really, I've been constantly sneezing and scratching at my nose and eyes.  *sigh*

Once we got out of the pool, hubby got us all McDonald's as a treat, and now everyone is either laying down for a nap, watching movies or playing computer games.

It's been the type of day I enjoy, quiet, no rushing, just us 4 with some junk food thrown in.  Ha!

Tomorrow will be about the same, but with church in the morning, I watch the Elevation Church live sermons every Sunday morning and they have been such a blessing through this Coronavirus quarantine.  I encourage you to check them out if you haven't.

Aside from that, I do need to catch up on my review books, I'm falling a little behind in my reading.  I also want to bake some sort of dessert, and get my house and family ready for the week ahead.

For the rest of this evening, I will be reading, watching TV and relaxing, oh and trying not to scratch my eyes and nose off. 

2 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Sandra. That is so nice that you could drive up to Oklahoma and help your mother-in-law. Yes, there are more things in the stores here as well, but like you, we still have not been able to find rubbing alcohol We also can't get liquid Lysol. I love the scenes from Oklahoma. I lived in Ponca City as a child, so those scenes from your drive are very familiar. I hope your allergies get better. I will have to check out that church service online. Thanks and have a great weekend!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

My father and a sister were born in Lawton. I lived there as a 3 year old. First memories, running to tornado shelter with hanging bare light bulb, bare dirt yard, and those hard stickers, getting a finger caught in car door. Your photos of countryside are great.

I've not been grocery shopping yet, so don't know what the shelves look like. ~ I am checking out the Elevation service about getting back to normal.

Have a lovely Sunday and I hope your allergies ease up soon ~ FlowerLady