Wednesday, October 05, 2022

{ Why are you a homemaker? }

October 4, 2022


The question came as a bit of a surprise.  I don't have the habit of asking random people, why they chose to do what they do, because frankly it's none of my business.  So it always surprises me, when I'm asked why I chose to be a homemaker.

But the answer is quite simple, at least to me.

Because I was called by God to do this, and I was given charge of my home and my family to care for.

What is most important in your life?  
 
In mine, it is God above all, and my family next.  I have both of those things inside my home, so I take great pride in caring for both my relationship with my Lord and my family.
 
 
October 4, 2022

October 4, 2022
 
 
As the days have gotten colder, I have found myself even more eager to do my housework.  There's a certain renewing of spirit, if you will.  Maybe it's the candle light or the piping hot oatmeal wafting steam up as if in a dance.

It makes me want to bake, decorate, plan and prepare for hibernation.  Though that is really not possible, no matter how appealing it may sound.  But you know what I mean.  

Chopping firewood to keep us warm during the winter months.  Gathering the last of the garden harvest to freeze or can, until Spring comes around and we plant a whole new garden.

Setting a pretty table for dinner.  Placing pine cones and pumpkins throughout the house.


October 4, 2022

October 4, 2022

October 4, 2022
 
Then there's those days that I don't feel like doing anything, not even speaking, and I can't muster up the motivation or energy to blog or post anything on Instagram.  We all have those moments, when our spirits seem to cry out for a slow day, for peace and quite, and a cup of coffee or tea with a slice of a yummy cake or pie.
 
Those days I spend in silence, with just some soft music in the background, a good book and my pets at my side.
 

October 4, 2022

October 4, 2022

 
On my quiet retreated days, I still am a homemaker.  I move through the daily chores at a slower pace, I take my time, and I allow myself to soak in everything around me, taking extra time to watch the flickering candle light.

Or I really take in the scent of whatever I am cooking or baking.

Sometimes I sit back, close my eyes and go into deep prayer.  Not the kind of prayer that consistently asks for the Lord's help in certain situations, but the kind of prayer that involves me praising, loving and just listening intently.

Those are the prayers that seem to help me the most.  

So why am I a homemaker?  Because that's what God has instructed me to do!

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Blessings to you!

Rebecca Knox said...

It's been a while since I've visited your blog, Sandra, and I'm so glad that I did today. What a beautiful testimony of Biblical womanhood! I truly enjoyed reading your post and will be back to visit again soon. Blessings!

MaryP said...

My Bible study group did a session of "soaking prayer" and it sounds very much like what you are describing. We all brought pillows and blankets and found a spot to retreat by ourself, get comfortable and simply try to clear our minds and listen to what God was saying to us. Our leader gave us a hand out with some suggested scriptures to meditate on if we were having trouble clearing our minds. We spent an hour and a half in silence, and it was amazing.