Friday, April 03, 2009

Living Life!

So it goes, that when you think you may have some time to sit down and chat a bit, you realize you don't. You are on the roller coaster of life, going day by day and trying to grasp everything coming at you.

It's been a busy and interesting week around here. We've had some issues at the kids schools, for the most part it's a wonderful public school with very attentive and wonderful teachers, but I think that sometimes even the best schools can have their meltdowns, their little "no no's".

My biggest pet peeve is when I see children insulting each other and saying things that make me wonder "just what are you learning at home?". Look, I'm not perfect and neither are my kids, but I like to think that my husband and I have instilled in them morals and values and respect for other human beings, my children are respectful and considerate of others and would never say hurtful things.....and by that I mean, the kind of talk that makes you cringe, makes you think why a young girl/boy would EVER say something like that and think it's acceptable....

Take yesterday for example, I picked up the kids from school and I could tell that Jasmine was upset. When I asked her what happened, she said that one of the girls in her class.....fourth grade, mind you.....told her and her friend to "shut up or I will bash a hole through your teeth". Excuse me?!?!?!

As a parent do you let it go or do you do something about it? Because the way I see it, my children rely on my husband and I to keep them safe and to watch out for their best interests. So, as soon as we got home, I shot off an email to her teacher, explained the situation and told her in no uncertain terms that my daughter is NOT used to that kind of language and that I expect the other girl to apologize for what she said and that if the teacher doesn't take care of it, then I will step in and personally contact her parents.

A little bit pushy? Maybe. But I don't think so, I think that if we let these small things go, they will quickly escalate from a "bash a hole through your teeth" to something more serious.

Anyway, the teacher was very cooperative and understanding and informed me that she would be talking to the girl and her parents.



So, onto other things, there seems to be more colds and sniffles going around, a couple of kids at school have been sick at home AGAIN. So when I picked up Nicholas from school yesterday and he was running a low grade fever, coughing, runny nose and congested, I thought....NOT AGAIN!

But, last night I did the Vicks thing on the feet again.....I had heard about it before and I had done it but I didn't use the socks and now I believe that is what makes the difference. I rubbed both his feet with tons of Vicks, put on some nice warm socks and tucked him into bed. NO meds for the low grade fever, I'm tired of pumping medicine into their little bodies, unless the fever is extremely high, I don't want to resort to medicine. Anyway, within 30 minutes he was sweating, and I mean SWEATING. He must have sweated out all the bad stuff, because he woke up this morning 100% better, what a change, it's like night and day. So if you've never tried the Vicks trick...do it!


What else is going on? Oh, I got my laptop back, finally. They had to replace the power cord and the hard drive, on a laptop that was a month old. Thankfully it's under warranty. It feels good to have my own computer back, I don't mind using Curt's but you know how it is, when it's someone else's you're always worried you may break something.

I'm also working on some Crocheted Kitchen Towel holders, they work up really fast and I love their look hanging from the Oven door. With kids, they tend to wipe their hands and then the towels end up on the floor, this way, they're going nowhere.

I'll be having a little giveaway next week with some of the crochet things I've made, so if you like the cupcakes, donuts, easter eggs etc....be sure to keep an eye out for those.

I thought it would be fun to end this post with something I always used to do when I first started blogging, it kind of rounds up the day for me and helps me keep track of what I'm doing.



WHAT I'M COOKING:

Lunch will probably just be Grilled Cheese sandwiches.

Dinner is Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork. Extremely easy to make and the kids love it.



WHAT I'M WATCHING:

The Wings of the Dove from Netflix
Farmhouse
Most Haunted



WHAT I'M DOING:

Post office
Laundry
Sweep and Mop
Making flubber with the kids after school

25 comments:

Mari said...

I think it's goof that you talked to the teacher. She and the parents need to be aware of what is going on. Glad you got your laptop back too!

Mari said...

My typing is bad - that was supposed to say good - not goof!

Carol said...

Good for you for saying something to Jasmine's teacher! I am just appalled by some of the things that my 6 year old hears on the playground and on the bus. It does make you wonder about what those kids hear at home. :-( I'm really looking forward to your giveaway. All of your crocheting inspired me to start a few months ago and I *love* it! Have a great weekend!

Linds said...

Yes I agree, good for you for contactign the teacher. These things can escalate so quickly.

I can't wait to see the photos of the flubber! I don't have any small ones to try it with at the moment, but my time will come! Have a lovely weekend, Sandra.

Pamela said...

I know just how you feel - what are the children of today learning at home? I see a lack of respect for authority, their elders, a complete disrespect for our environment, and just plain rudeness. I suppose a lot of it comes from the media, and I blame it on the parents for using the electronic babysitter! Good for you for talking to her teacher - I did that when Sophia was bullied by two girls in the second grade - I think her teacher was shocked that I took the time to write a letter voicing my concerns.

I love the Vicks idea and will certainly remember that if Sophia is ever ill. I am so excited about your giveway - I am hopeless in the knitting, crocheting and sewing department so the possibility of winning one of your works of art is really something to look forward to.

Have a great weekend.

Valerie said...

As a former classroom teacher, I can say that it is definitely in your child's best interest to speak with the teacher. Very often, bullying goes undetected by teachers and other adults in the building as it ususally takes place in more private, confined settings. This is especially true with females, who tend to demonstrate the more "sneaky" form of bullying.

I would also encourage your daughter to report these types of incidents (immediately) to her teacher, playground monitor, etc. as it is NOT tattling. Bullying cannot be stopped if adults are unaware...and you are correct...it is your job as a parent (and mine as a classroom teacher) to STOP bullying in it's tracks! Aggressive behavior is never okay!

I hope that the district and building where your children attend school provide an atmosphere where student safety is a priority and parents are welcomed to be their child's first advocate! (All right, I'll stop...can you tell I am passionate about bully-prevention?!!!)

As always, I enjoy reading your blog, espcially for wonder recipes and crafting ideas!

Blessings to you from Kansas,
Valerie

Valerie said...

Sorry...wonderful recipes...I never have to "wonder" about the recipes! Ha ha!

Glenda said...

Sandra, you definitely did a good thing by talking to the teacher...that's what good mommys do. I really enjoy your blog, and the headers you've been creating are great...need to go into the "header" business. Happy springtime from Mississippi.

kim said...

I say way to go, you definitely did the right thing- there is nothing more precious in this world than our children.

I recently had an experience like this with my 2nd grader, she was being bullied by a girl on her bus who was in 6th grade. I went to the Teacher, who went to the Principal. The girl was threatened with suspension and now is very cordial to my daughter. I think its always best to make sure that everyone is aware of the situation before it gets out of hand. The week after this incident there were say no to bullying signs all over the elementary.

Lulu said...

glad you talked to the teacher, its good that they know whats going on..
glad you got your laptop back..Food sounds delich as usual..

Bonnie said...

Good on you for talking to the teacher. And for teaching your children to be so respectful ! You're a great Mom Sandra and I think your instincts are right on.

Barb said...

I'd never even heard of the Vicks on your feet thing until I got sick a couple of weeks ago and several people suggested it. It works!

It's awful that kids that young (4th grade) say such terrible things. You did the right thing. The teacher needs to know it's going on.

Wendi said...

I am glad that you said something to the teacher. While in Sam's a few weeks ago I overheard a dad tell his maybe 2-3 year old who was sitting in the cart seat that if she kicked her shoe off again he would "shove it up her bu**." I was shocked! It just makes me think that some kids may not know that the things they say is not acceptable.

I have tried the vicks and I agree it works great!

Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

You have a lot going on in your life, I think talking to the teacher was a good idea, they need to know whats going on.

I need to know what is flubber???

Conny said...

thanks for sharing, sandra! It is indeed sad what some children must see, hear, and learn at home - and then bring it to school. My kids go to a Christian school, but not even that can protect them from some awful information, I would rather they not know. :( Sad. I'm glad the teacher handled it - that's when you know you have a good one!! Can't wait to see what you're giving away!! HEY!! Maybe I could start GIVING AWAY some of my husband's BOOKS - LOL - he'd only buy more! ;)

Linda said...

It is very exciting about the crochet. I missed buying BHG the Australian one that had a pattern for local cotton. Not sure where I would have bought the cotton exactly because of where we live and my infrequent visits to town (1 1/2 hours) but I can dream!

I do enjoy the towels I have bought with the tops already done. They are not how I would make them, but still I enjoy them.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I didn't know you had this other blog. Very nice layout. And good post too. Yay for you for taking action.

BTW I was wondering if that Vicks thing on the soles of the feet works. Thanks for letting us know that it does. I'll have to let my daughter and granddaughter know, for the next time their kids get sick.

Unknown said...

I know here, bullying is punishable by suspension. That is great that you contacted the teacher, I would have done the same thing. There are even crazy things being said in my 4 yr olds preschool class. One was sexually explicit! I was like what in the world when my friend told me that a little boy said it to her little girl.

I would love to win one of your projects, I am sewing challenged. I will definitely keep my eye open for the giveaway.

I hope you have a great weekend!

autumnesf said...

The school is the best option - as you did. Word of warning...going straight to the other parent can be extremely hazardous to your health. As in stalking, bad mouthing throughout your community, verbal attacks and smearing of your children as liars and being attacked even in front of the cops.

I don't do parents anymore. I go straight to the school - and outside of school I go straight to the cops.

The Raggedy Girl said...

The best parents stay involved so I think it is right to visit the teacher. Never heard of the Vick's thing, glad it worked.

Have A Spectacular Saturday
From Roberta Anne
"The Raggedy Girl"

Susanne said...

My mom was a big believer in "sweating" a fever out. She'd make the bathroom all steamy and we'd take books and games into the bathroom and stay in there for a good while until we broke a good sweat.

Good for you for having the gumption to stick up for your children and do something about the situation right away. Bullying should never, ever be tolerated. You've sent a very clear message to the teacher and school and hopefully this girl and her parents.

Renee said...

Good for you on handling the school situation so well! If we, as parents don't stand up for our kids...who will?

Those were some harsh and threatening words stated to Jasmine. You've shown her by example a wonderful way to handle a difficult situation, to respect and stand up for herself, as well as to say "no" to bullying. Way to go!!

Have a wonderful weekend and have fun with making flubber. I bet the kids really enjoy that!

Kirstin said...

Be blessed Sandra!! I think being active in a public system is a must. Especially with things like that, because I'm sure you're also equipping your kids how to deal with those things as well.

I was talking to a friend who is a second grade teacher and I could not believe some of the things some of her "problem" kids did and said...especially in 2nd grade.

I've been talking through things with my oldest. She's not into drama, and a few times has had some friends tease her about liking a certain boy and it irritates her so much especially because she could care less about "relationships".

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your week...even if it was a bit of a frustrating one! :( I am glad things are being handled by the teacher and that your little guy is all better! Thanks for the Vick's tip! :)

Anonymous said...

As a former teacher< I think most teachers appreciate being told about what is happening among the children before the problem develops into big trouble and out of control. Intervention is easier in the early stage.
Also, I live in Az. and as one who used to brown and not burn, I must warn you of sun poisoning. It will change your skin and your lifestyle. Use sunscreen and a hat always!!