Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cooking Thursday - Apple Dumplings


Good morning ladies :)

Can you believe it's already Thursday again?   Not that I'm going to complain too much because I do love my weekends, but goodness, we're one day away from March.

Anyway, here is today's recipe, one of my children's favorites and I had a craving for it yesterday, so quickly made it.  Enjoy :)



Apple Dumplings
Apple Dumplings

2 Granny Smith apples
1 lemon
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 canned buttermilk biscuits
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Peel, core and slice the apples vertically into 8 slices each. Squeeze the lemon into a bowl of water and add the apple slices to keep from turning brown.

In a medium saucepan, mix 1 cup water, 3/4 cup of the sugar, the butter and vanilla. Bring the sugar mixture to a boil over medium heat.

Separate each biscuit into 2 layers. Wrap a biscuit layer around a slice of apple, stretching the biscuit slightly to overlap, and seal on the bottom. Place the wrapped slices, sealed-side down, in a 9- by 12- by 2-inch casserole dish.

Pour the hot sugar mixture over the apple slices. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture over the tops of the wrapped apples. Bake until golden brown, 35 minutes.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum, Yum! Looks so good and so much easier than the recipe I have! Will put on the menu when I plan for next week. :)

Judy said...

YUM!!!!

Anonymous said...

You have a very nice, versatile blog! Your cooking looks delicious, nice pics, beautiful handiwork...

Thank you to your husband for his service and you for being there for him!

I read the Little House on the Prairie books to my youngest daughter some years ago...I loved them more then she did! :) I was drawn by their simplicity and I can still picture them eating the fried pig's tail, or making pie out of the crows that ruined their corn crops!

Jill said...

That looks so delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Jill

Mari said...

Yum! What an easy way to make dumplings!

threesidesofcrazy said...

I need one of those dumplings right now - look super tasty.