Wednesday, April 19, 2006

WORKS FOR ME WEDNESDAY!!!



Shannon over at Rocks in my Dryer, had a great idea. She came up with this new feature where every wednesday we post what works for us. This is what she said:

You know how it is--we all have come up with dozens of little shortcuts or ideas around our homes to make managing our lives easier. Maybe you came up with such an idea yourself in a moment of desperation, or you learned it from your mom or another friend...it doesn't matter how it came about. What matters it that your life runs the tiniest bit more smoothly because of your clever idea.

So I thought I would chime in with my own tips or trick or whatever you want to call it. LOL

I learnt this one a while ago and I have to admit that I still use it to this day, not just for myself but especially when you have friends or family over.
It's a shortcut to a dish that we always like making but takes too much time to prepare, and let me tell you it's a real life saver when you need to make a few at time.

So here goes:

OMELETS IN THE BAG

Have everyone write their name on a quart-size, zip-lock freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into each bag (not more than 2 eggs) and shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each member adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shakes; make sure the air is out of the bag and the bag is well-zipped.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes.
You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.


It's really been a huge help on those crazy busy mornings, and just wonderful when you have a lot of family over for holidays or special occasions.
I sometimes make myself an omelet for lunch and this is a quick and easy way too.
Go ahead, give it a try and let me know what you think. :)

10 comments:

Donnetta said...

Oh goody! I am going to definately try this! I never have quite figured out how to make a good omelet anyway, so what have I got to lose? (found you from Shannon's by the way)

Kim from Hiraeth said...

Wow! That is amazing! I'm definitely going to do this next time I have a house full of guests. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Wouldn't it be fun to assign friends an ingredient to bring for brunch and then have everyone assemble their own omelets? What a hoot!

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

From Shannon's blog...

*That* is a fantastic idea!!! Will definetely by trying this.

Anonymous said...

Will pass idea on to hubby - he's the omelette maker in the family! I have been wracking my brains trying to think of a short cut or trick that I know...and darn it, I can't think of any!

Anonymous said...

That is a BRILLIANT idea. I must try that

Sandra said...

momrn2 - glad you stopped by :) I love omelets and could never really get them right either, but THIS works :)

Kim - It's so much fun, my kids LOVE making their own, they think it's fun putting in their own ingredients :)

this one's for the girls - Glad you found me through Shannon :) Let me know if you try it :)

Valk - LOL I know, I was always looking for a good shortcut and let me tell you, this one is amazing, I was shocked at how easy it was and the omelet comes out so fluffy and yummy :)

Mel - Let me know if you try it, I was really surprised that the omelet didn't stick to the bag, it just slides right out and it's really good :)

Sandra said...

everyday mommy - You are so right....I think military wives are a breed all their own LOL I have friends that are not military and they don't quite get what we go through, it's not easy trying to explain it either :) So glad you stopped by my blog :)

owlhaven said...

What a fun idea!!

I love your template, BTW

Mary, mom to many

Sandra said...

Mary - Thank you for stopping by, I read your blog daily and just LOVE it. You always bring a smile to my face, I'm still laughing at the BIB story while you were driving to the doctors LOL

Sandra said...

mother load - I'm SO happy that you tried it out. First time I made them my hubby too was aprehensive and kept saying it wouldn't work and that they would stick to the bag LOL He was shocked at how light and fluffy they turned out :)