Wednesday, October 20, 2010

From behind closed doors!

2010_10200005

My morning started out with a cool 66 degrees outside, it felt absolutely wonderful, it was like being transported to another place where you actually feel the coolness of Autumn.

I stepped out back with my coffee in hand and noticed that the skies were a looming dark color, there were clouds moving in and then some sprinkles and anytime I see that I literally want to jump up and down for joy.  I must be one of the few people on earth who just love rainy days.

2010_10200003

There's something about the darkness in the house, the illuminating candles glowing while the pitter patter of rain surrounds you and the prospect of baking in a warm kitchen.

2010_10200008

I'm often asked if I really do love being a stay at home mom as much as it looks like I do on my blog.

I always answer with a resounding yes.  Yes I do.  You may find that hard to believe, but I vividly remember being about 6 or 7 years old and while other little girls were playing hopscotch and dreaming of being a teacher or a model, I was in my house surrounded by toy pots and pans and dolls.

I dreamed of being a wife, a mom, of staying at home and following in my Greatgrandmother's footsteps.  I wanted to be just like her, to cook for a big group of people, to dust and iron and mop and smile everytime the family returned home after a long day of work or school.

In essence, I'm living my dream.  Oh it's not all wonderful, there are days that I have breakdowns like everyone else but really, I'm blissfully content and I really couldn't ask for more.

So today, I found myself in my quiet house.  The kids were at school and my husband was asleep as he works Mid Shift or the Graveyard shift.

I puttered around, I lit candles, I picked up here and there and straightened out the living room for the umpteenth time because really, when you have children, no matter how old they are, there is always some sort of mess going on in that living space.

Then I stepped into the kitchen and while the raindrops hit on my kitchen window, I pulled out my Kitchenaid and made a Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread.  Lordy do I love these, but I did omit the raisins as my kids are not particularly fond of those.

2010_10200045

Before I knew it, it was time to pick up the kids and head back home to get dinner started.  I made some delicious crunchy chicken tenders which left everyone licking their lips and announcing that they are the best things they've ever had  HA!

Truly, if you think about it, there are so many foods out there that you could be making at home, much healthier and cheaper than buying, and you KNOW what is going into them, no weird colorings or additives.

Both recipes are up on Full Bellies, Happy Kids if you want to give them a try.

I'm going to round up the kids and make sure homework is done.  Tomorrow I have Parent/Teacher Conferences and quite frankly, this is the first year that I'm having issues with one of the teachers and really not looking forward to this meeting.  I'm not impressed with a lot of what goes on in that school and the classroom.  I can't tell you how happy I am to be pulling my children out next year, I just can't wait.

See?  Not everything is roses in my household :)

No comments: