Wednesday, October 09, 2019

{ Blogtober 2019 - Day 9 - In the Kitchen }



October 9, 2019 - In the Kitchen


Hi everyone, welcome back to my little corner.

As the temperatures have started dropping, I find myself spending hours in my kitchen.

_MG_6661

_MG_6662

_MG_6663

_MG_6664

_MG_6667

_MG_6669

_MG_6670

The kitchen has always been my favorite room of the house, actually from a very young age.  It is where I've spent most of my life, first as a tiny toddler at my great grandmother's feet, then as a teenager around the kitchen table drinking tea, eating biscuits (cookies) and chatting with both my great grandmother and grandmother, and then as a newly married mom, making meals for my loves.

So it's always been a place I've found to be a safe haven, a peaceful corner of the home.

It is also where everyone gathers, holidays, dinners, we tend to end up sitting in the kitchen chatting.

But when Fall and Winter come around, I find that I spend even more time in there.  There are foods and certain things that I mainly make when the temperatures have cooled down.

Yesterday, I spent the day pottering around, I prepped meals, made pickled beets and some more tomato jam. 

The hours went by, I listened to soft music, fully immersed in the hum drum of the chores before me, and blocked out the stresses and worries that daily life seems to bring upon us.  While I'm the kitchen, I often think about my great grandmother, the type of woman she was and just how much I miss her.

There are certain tastes, certain smells, and certain moments that are intricately connected with her memory.  What I wouldn't give to have her beside me, to share another cup of tea, a biscuit and a chat.  I miss my grandmas and my great grandmother and especially those moments that we often take for granted, knowing full well that one day they will be over, but never quite thinking the time is coming anytime soon.

So while I continue my journey here on earth, they continue theirs in Heaven.  We will see each other again one day, but for the moment, I revel in every minute I'm in the kitchen and try to keep their memories alive in the things that I do, the food that I make and the love that I have for my home and family.

After all, I learned from the best!

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Lovely post, Sandra, so heartfelt. It was beautiful to read.

threesidesofcrazy said...

I could actually visualize you as a child in your grandmother's kitchen. Such a sweet post. I LOVE your prompt for today :D PERFECT place for me to jump in.

Luludou said...

I love that we can 'see' the images you talk about. Pictures are beautiful and cozy.

John kim said...

How can I explain this to the world that there is a man who can cure HERPES, I was diagnosed for the past 1 year I have being into HERPES since 1 year, so I decide to look for help in the internet then I found a post write about this great man called DR. Yakubu , people say good thing about him that this man have cured, a lot of people in the internet, him has power's to cure HSV1 AND HSV2 I don’t believe that there is a cure for Herpes Simplex Virus because though there is no cure for herpes that what I have in mind HERPES had no cure well , my HERPES is negative through the using of herbal cured of DR yakubu , I contacted this man for help because of what i see in the internet. if you need his cured just email him now on dr.yakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com , thank you DR. i will never stop shearing you testimony DR. Yakubu . him Can as well CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-1, HIV/AIDS, 2, Diseases of the hear 3, Malignant tumors 4. Cardiovascular diseases 5. Diabetes mellifluous 6.Influenza and pneumonia 7.Alzheimer's disease 8. hsv1 - hsv2. If you need LOVE SPELL. E.T.C contact him dr.yakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com or you whatsapp him on +2348057353647...
Dr.yakubu 하나님은 내 삶을 회복시켜 주신 것에 대한 축복을 계속할 것입니다. 나는 사람들에게 증거를 계속 나눌 것입니다.