Thursday, August 21, 2008

Back to Normal!

Thank you all for the well wishes, things are finally back to normal here, we're still holding on to the cold but it's almost gone and the kids were able to return to school today. I again found myself with the deafening quiet of a house all to myself, but it feels good and I don't mean in any way that I don't miss my children and I don't wish I had them with me, but you know, I think every mother needs a couple of hours a day to herself. It helps to replenish the soul.

Nicholas with the projects he made at school today
Jasmine, she's in a bit of a cranky mood today, says it's way too hot and she has homework everyday and the world is ending.....*roll my eyes* LOL

I got the house clean and the laundry all finished this morning and then spent the rest of the day on the computer, cleaning it up. You know computers need a good cleaning once in a while too right? All those files you accumulate and programs you download, it's good to back things up so you don't end up like me, having the computer conk out and loosing everything you had.

It took me the whole afternoon to get this done, who knew I had so much stuff, it's mostly photos because you know me, I pretty much have the camera attached at the hip and anything that moves gets a flash in it's face. I've been able to collect some great pictures over the years but I've also managed to eat up a big chunk of my hard drives, so I'm in the process of picking and reorganizing and ditching those photos I don't need and backing everything else up. It will take me a few more days, but I'm sure I'll get through it.

You know what I also realized while doing this????? That a lot of my life is spent in one room in this house, one room that has always been my favorite and brings me so much joy...my kitchen.
If I'm not cooking up a meal for the family, I'm sitting at the table drawing up menus or grocery lists, or reading through cookbooks or paying bills, helping kids with homework, sewing, reading, washing dishes or talking on the phone. It's my little happy place I guess.

So I thought I would share a few of my favorite spots in the kitchen, just little things that make me smile while I'm in there.


I love this one, she hangs on my wall in the kitchen and holds all my plastic bags

Clothesline behind my washer and dryer, right now I have some *soon to be made into wall hangings* projects. I dyed the fabric with vanilla flavored coffee to give it that old look and they smell SO good too.


Here's a close up of one of the Halloween pictures

I bought this one years ago back at the Quilted Bear in Idaho...it hangs in my laundry room and always makes me smile



My kitchen window sill.....I'm going to paint the birdhouse soon


Little rabbit that hangs out on top of my stove


And now here is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. My Passe-vite......Do you know what it is???




Dinner tonight was Shepherd's Pie



  • Cleaning up computer
  • Re-watching Robin Hood Season 1 clips online


Olympics - 7pm - NBC

Track and Field, Women's diving, Men's beach volleyball


********************************


One Year Ago Today:
Two Years Ago Today: Today is the Day

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I never saw a potato masher like that before, that is what it is, right??

Renee said...

I agree with you about your comment on movie, The Other Boleyn Girl. I found Ann Boleyn to be horrible in the book and had no sympathy for her. She was portrayed much more kindly in the movie and I felt quite sorry for her in the end. I've ordered The Boleyn Inheritance from the library; can't wait till it arrives!

Lavinia said...

Hi Sandra! I enjoyed reading your post. I can't believe you are already in the school days where you are....we won't begin school for another couple of weeks! School in August is very strange to my mind, here in Toronto it always begins after Labour day in September.

I spend alot of time in my kitchen too, doing lots besides cooking, just like you.

I like the cute decor in your kitchen, and using vanilla cafe was a very clever idea!

Susanne said...

My mom used to use one of those kitchen gadgets. She used it to "mush" things, like lentils for her lentil stew. We called it something different though. Can't remember what though. :v)

LOL. Jasmine is already into the melodrama, is she? How is she again? LOL.

Mozi Esme said...

I love Nicholas's crafts and Jasmine's sassy look!

Laura said...

So glad you are all feeling better. My daughter is 11, I can so relate :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you are all feeling better. My girls don't go back to school until 1st September, they are getting a bit fed-up now after 6 weeks off school.

Lovely photos, wish I could join you for a cuppa.

Hugs n' love

Sarah x

smilnsigh said...

So glad you are better!

Just in time... Michelle is sick now. -sigh-

You poor young Mommies, and so early in the coming cold season. But as I said to her, at least THIS cold bug can't 'get you' again this season.

Hugs,
Miss Mari-Nanci
'Smilnsigh' blog

Cheri said...

Oh the drama of girls- I know it well-smiles!
I love shephards pie- it reminds me of my mom- I make it often!

Michelle said...

Glad that you're feeling better..It sounds like you're getting alot done while Nicholas and Jasmine are in school.have a good day.

Jen said...

I love shepherds pie...it so good. I need to remember that for the fall.
And I need Scott to make me a clothes line behind the washer and dryer that is a good idea....for Millers art work esp......have a good weekend gal.

Angela said...

I have something for you on my blog!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I laughed out loud (ummm, get with the program: LOL!) when I read your words, "if it moves it gets a flash in its face"...that is soooo me!! And I know very well how much time it takes to clean up a computer...just dusting it doesn't seem to help, ha-ha.

Glad the colds are on the way out, Nicolas is quite the artist and Jasmine is practicing for teenager-hood. Oh, that sassy look!

The pics of the kitchen are such fun...I can see why you enjoy being there.

Have a fun weekend. Stay cool.

Carla said...

If they never leave, you will never miss them! Thats what I tell my loved ones! I enjoyed seeing your 'what makes me smile' things!

Michelle said...

I know you miss the kids, but isn't it also nice to have the house to yourself? LOL Just as soon as I got one off to school I have a baby again :) It's nice to have some 1-on-1 time w/Lucas though while Kayla's in school all day. Is that name tag "walker" on Nichola's shirt to make sure they don't put him on the bus? :)