Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sweet Child of Mine!



You always hear "follow your instincts as a parent" and today was one of those days. One of the days to take that lesson to heart and follow through on it, no matter how many doubts may have plagued you or how you may question what you're doing. It's not what others think that matters, it's what YOU think.

Jasmine came down with a fever again on Saturday late afternoon, this morning, she was still running the fever, and it spiked to 103.4, at which point I said ....that's it...that's enough, I don't care if anyone thinks I'm crazy or that I'm overreacting. It's been two days since she's had good nourishment, she is sleeping all the time, doesn't want to eat or play and is weak and her body aches from the high temperatures.

If you've been reading my blog for a while you know that my kids have been sick with colds for what seems like ever. It's every other month one or both is down with fevers and runny noses, sore throats etc.
You'll also remember that the doctor on base we have been to a few times is really not cutting it....and that's putting it mildly.

So Curt and I took her to Urgent Care this morning and I'm so thankful we did. We had the best doctor, very attentive, used to children with little ones of his own and within a few minutes of examining her, he told us she has Strep Throat and an Ear Infection....plus, get this....what seems to be conjunctivitis which seems to hit her every time she gets a bad cold.


Photobucket

My poor child was absolutely miserable, but I'm SO glad I made the decision to just take her in and not sit around thinking this is just another bout of the cold and she'll be fine in no time.

The doctor gave her some Motrin right away to bring down that really high fever, and prescribed Antibiotics and Eye Drops.....he says by tomorrow she'll be feeling so much better. In the meantime we are going to keep filling her with fluids, trying to make her eat and alternating motrin and tylenol as per doctors orders.

I just hope she feels much better by Thursday and can return to school, her birthday is on Saturday and I would hate for her to be miserable and unhappy then.

Anyway, I'm off to love on my child, just wanted to come in and give everyone and update and remind you that YOU are the voice for your children, do everything in your power and explore every avenue when it comes to their health. They are too precious to deserve anything other.

God Bless,

23 comments:

Jodi said...

Hope Jasmine feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

I understand exactly what you said!! My daughter has had strep 7 times in the past year and her "old" doc wouldn't give me a referral... took her to another one and got a referral and saw the ENT and tonsils are out this summer! I followed my instincts like you said. I hope she feels better real soon but don't be surprised if she is not feeling better until tomorrow afternoon or even the next morning.

Mari said...

Poor Jasmine - sorry she is sick again! The antibiotics shoudl kick in soon and have her feeling better!

The Raggedy Girl said...

I have a friend who has four children and the kids and the parents kept getting sick one after the other until finally the doctor put all six of them on medicine at the same time. I will keep Jasmine in my prayers for healing.

Roberta Anne

Sarah said...

feel better jasmine! and good call to head to urgent care sandra. oh, the pics of her are precious- especially the 2nd one. good job :)

Cheri said...

I'm sure within 24 hrs she's going to feel like a whole new person.
Happy early birthday to Jasmine!

Susanne said...

Hope she's better soon!

Wendi said...

Sorry your sweet girl is not feeling well. I hope she is better soon!

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Good job, Sandra! I'm sure it will be a relief to see her feeling better. Hope it comes soon!

Keeper of the Home said...

Sandra,

She is just the cutest little girl! I love her beautiful eyes and smile. Praying she is well soon.

Unknown said...

You are a wise Mother, I'm sure she will feel better soon.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Sandra,

I'm so glad to hear you got some answers for your Jasmine and I really needed to read this post as Joy has been sick and sleeping all the time, and fever. I took her back in today and I can't say I'm completely satisfied with the visit, but she does seem to be some better this evening. I've decided I'm giving these meds until Thursday to work and then I'm taking further action too. When you know your child, you KNOW when they are way out of their normal zone!

I love that first pic of Jasmine...so sweet!

Tammy

Amy said...

OH your poor Jasmine! Praying for her right now... total healing and restoration over her little body, in Jesus name.

Great job listening to your gut... it's hard, but don't you feel the more you listen, the clearer it gets!
You are such a wonderful momma, Sandra!

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

Hope she starts to feel better soon.

Debra said...

Mother Knows Best!

Hope she is feeling better soon.

Lulu said...

hope she feels all better soon..
hugs to her and to you..

Blessed Beyond said...

oh my! that poor sweetie pie! I sure hope and Pray that Jasmine is feeling better really soon and able to be well and feeling good for her Birthday! Glad you followed your gut!
Hugs and Blessings,

Lara said...

Poor Jasmine. I hope she's feeling better now.

heidi @ ggip said...

Poor kid! I hope she feels better soon!

Tina Leigh said...

Sandra that is great!! Maybe that is what you need to do from now on. Hey have you heard anything about getting bad sheet rock from China? It is making folks sick. The people from hurricane Katrina...folks that have recently rebuilt are experiencing all kinds of mess from it. It has me worried about new structures.

I look for a good update on your baby girl this afternoon! Again Sandra, I am glad she's gotten good care.

someone else said...

Bless her little heart! I'm glad you followed your instincts and I'm hoping she's well really soon. Moms always know best!

HuNnY aNd PoPpA LeWiS said...

So glad you took that precious daughter of yours to the dr. Keep giving her your loving TLC, and she will be feeling better in no time.

And bless your heart for all the sickness y'all have endured recently. Have a blessed day!

Cindy said...

Feel better soon, Jasmine! And take care of yourself to, Sandra! BTW, Jasmine has the most amazing eyes!