Monday, February 18, 2013

Happy Homemaker Monday - 02/18/2013

Good morning ladies :)

Hope you've all had a good weekend so far.  Happy President's Day, are you doing anything fun or just staying home like we are?

On to today's Happy Homemaker Monday!



The Weather:::
Had a nice warm weekend, reaching into the 80's on Saturday.  Right now it's 45 degrees but we have some cooler temperatures and rain in the forecast for later this week, so we'll see.


Right now I am:
Drinking my coffee, Vanilla Biscotti....yum!  Munching on some Aegan Gourmet toast with a little slather of butter, talking to my hubby and writing this post.

Thinking:
That I ate whatever I wanted yesterday and this morning I'm paying for it.  Not feeling very good, actually feel kind of stuffed.  Back to counting calories and my diet today.

On my reading pile:::
Bible
Still haven't finished Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini, just haven't been reading much at all lately.  


On my tv:::Mr Selfridge Episode 7
Great Houses with Julian Fellowes.  Episode 2
Portuguese Soaps - Tempo de Viver, Doida por Ti, Destinos Cruzados, Louco Amor
Call the Midwife Episode 5
Escape to the Country


Favorite Blog post this week (mine or other):::
A birthday trip to Castleton from Athene Noctua


Something fun to share:::
I love Greengate, they remind me a lot of Cath Kidston, though they are based in Denmark.  Recently, Greengate joined with Uniqlo to bring us a fantastic range of clothes.  Oh my, they are so pretty.



On the menu for this week:::Lots of easy meals, have some extra bills this payday and needed to cut back slightly on the food budget.  Even when I don't have extra bills, once in a while I do this, I go for easy cheap meals, just to give the food budget a bit of a break and save some money.
Monday - Spaghetti with bacon
Tuesday - Zatarain's Jambalaya with Smoked Sausage
Wednesday - Chicken a la king with mashed potatoes
Thursday -  Carne a Jardineira (Beef Stew)
Friday - Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Saturday - Crockpot beans and ham
Sunday - Chicken Fried Steak, mash, breaded okra

On my to do list:::

Laundry - I don't even remove this one from the list, it's always there, never ending
Homeschooling - even though it's a holiday, we have some catching up to do

What I am sewing, crocheting, knitting or creating:::
Doing the edging on my granny stripe blanket, it's big enough for a lap blanket now.  I always love coming to the end of a project :)  Working on my crochet tablecloth

Homemaking Tips:::
Just mentioned this above on my menu, but wanted to repeat it.  Once in a while, cut back dramatically on you food budget, cook easy, quick, cheap meals.  Forget the recipes from cookbooks, forget the new dishes you see on the internet that look elaborate, just go for home cooked, childhood favorites.  Your family will thank you for it, and so will your bank account.

Looking around the house:::
Everyone is awake, and on their laptops.  Some are playing a game, others are watching a video on Netflix, and one is watching a movie.  The kitchen needs some cleaning up and I have to vacuum and mop the house.  Even though everyone is up, it's really quiet, but here shortly breakfast will kick into gear and a flurry of voices will break the quiet.

From the camera:::

2013_02160081


On my prayer list:::
My husband, for his PT test tomorrow and for his promotion test the beginning of March.  He is once again testing for Master Sergeant, missed it by 3 points last year.

Bible verse, Devotional:::
Because God is seeking quality in our character, time is not His concern. Masterpieces take a lot of time! –Joyce Meyer

10 comments:

Heather Ortega said...

Happy President's Day. We are going to be staying home for most of the day....cleaning and picking up. My mom is back in the hospital so we will be going to see her but that's our only trip out unless I decide to go for groceries.

Eduarda said...

Sandra o que celebram neste President`s Day ?
beijo

Jill said...

This is a nice post with a great overview. :-) I am missing warm weather so much! I hope your husband does well on his test! Enjoy your day, my girls are off to school for a snow makeup day :-)

Blessings,
Jill

Liz said...

I'm praying for your husband as well. Hope he does well. He's worked very hard and deserves it.

I do that a lot with our menu too. We've had a lot of big bills lately and have had to go to some simpler cooking and use what we have already in our cabinets and freezer.

Have a wonderful week!

Naomi said...

Wishing your husband lots of luck with his upcoming tests!
Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog too. Memory loss although only temporary is something Vince suffers with too. This morning he lost my name for half an hour after... it's heart breaking. But I pray it will get better :) I figure prayer and positivity are all we can bring to epilepsy! xx

Judy said...

Best of luck to your husband on his PT test and for his promotion test. How exciting!! Oh man, I haven't made dishes that I used to make when the kids were small, I'll just have to dig them out again.

Kathy Skinner (Kat) said...

I unplugged for a few days last week and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I am looking forwards to seeing your finished lap blanket. Have a great week Sandra and hope Hubby does well on his exams.

threesidesofcrazy said...

Have a great week.

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Excited to be linking up with you for the first time!
Love your homemaking tips! Thanks for the encouragement to be intention in so many areas of life!

NITA said...

Prayers,for you both....especially his PT test...