Friday, August 12, 2022

{ Book mail that just makes me smile }

IMG_3487

 
For my birthday this year, I treated myself to some thrifted books.  If you've never heard of Thrift books, and you love reading, you need to check it out.

My husband uses it to sometimes find textbooks or reading material for his college courses, and I just use it to find books that I've been looking for and can't seem to find on other sites.  Also, because I don't mind paying less money for used books.....obviously not torn up or missing pages or anything, but I love books and love old books, and don't mind giving them a new home.

I have two more books still on the way, from the same order I placed.
 

IMG_3474

I didn't know which I was going to pick.  Didn't really have any specific in mind.  What I tend to do, is add books to my cart, as I go alone.  If I see a book mentioned by someone, that I think I would enjoy, I search for it on Paperbackswap first, and then if I can't find it, I will immediately go to Thrift Books and usually, I find it right away.

I then add it to my cart, to purchase whenever I want.

So, this time I just went in the cart and picked a few.  I have some saved for later and some on a wishlist as well.
 

IMG_3485

It will be no surprise for any of you, unless maybe for the newer followers, that there are books about Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte.  Of course.

IMG_3484

Then the other 3 are part of a series, which I mentioned in a previous post.  Linda K. Hubalek, is a book author that I had never heard of.  I came upon her books merely by accident while browsing other titles.  But the minute I saw the covers, they immediately drew me in.  I love anything from the past, anything pioneer, homemaking, old recipes and history.

These series have all of those in one.

The last book is actually from Paperbackswap.  Once in a while I get a book from my wish list, granted by another member.  I love when that happens because they're usually books that are not posted yet on the website, so they're on my wish list just hoping and praying that one day someone will post it.

Anyway, I've wanted to read Kelly Rimmer's The Things We Cannot Say, for quite a while.  I'm thrilled to have it in my possession now.
 
IMG_3482

In 1942, Europe remains in the relentless grip of war. Just beyond the tents of the refugee camp she calls home, a young woman speaks her wedding vows. It’s a decision that will alter her destiny…and it’s a lie that will remain buried until the next century. 
 
Since she was nine years old, Alina Dziak knew she would marry her best friend, Tomasz. Now fifteen and engaged, Alina is unconcerned by reports of Nazi soldiers at the Polish border, believing her neighbors that they pose no real threat, and dreams instead of the day Tomasz returns from college in Warsaw so they can be married. But little by little, injustice by brutal injustice, the Nazi occupation takes hold, and Alina’s tiny rural village, its families, are divided by fear and hate. 
 
Then, as the fabric of their lives is slowly picked apart, Tomasz disappears. Where Alina used to measure time between visits from her beloved, now she measures the spaces between hope and despair, waiting for word from Tomasz and avoiding the attentions of the soldiers who patrol her parents’ farm. But for now, even deafening silence is preferable to grief. 
 
 
IMG_3475
 
The next author which I've also never read, is Syrie James.  Syrie is known for her historical fiction book.  I have heard of her through various Youtube Book Vloggers, but these will be my first books by her, in my collection.  
 
I do have 2 more of her books in my cart, and will get those at another time.

IMG_3476

Before I close off this post though, I just want to give you a few peeks inside the Linda K. Hubalek books.  I just know some of you will love them as much as I do.
 
IMG_3477

IMG_3478

IMG_3479

IMG_3480

IMG_3481

You know what they kind of remind me of?  My favorite book author Nancy E. Turner and my favorite book These is My Words.  But then with the added goodness of recipes and photos and so on.

I am starting these tonight, I have to, I am dying to get started.  They're not long at all, and I'm sure I'll inhale them real fast.  However, I do have some other books in my cart, also from Linda K. Hubalek.

Trail of Thread is a series about her mother's ancestors, and their journey to a homestead in Kansas.  I also have the Planting Dreams Series in the cart, which are based on her father's Swedish ancestors and their life on the prairie.

And lastly, I have her newest series, Kansas Quilter.  The first book called Tying the Knot is about Linda's great grandmother Kizzie Hamman Pieratt.

They're all sitting in my cart, patiently waiting for me.  The best part is that most of these books are between 4 or 5 dollars, so I don't have to wait very long to grab them.

IMG_3483

 
Book mail really does bring a smile to my face.

No comments: