Wednesday, July 28, 2010

{ From Starter to Bread }

Well hello there, did you miss me?

I know I haven't been blogging for the past week or so, but I've been really busy enjoying the last two weeks of time I have with my kiddos before school starts.

I've also been a little under the weather, so much so that not even crocheting has helped me. I tell you, summer colds are the pits.

But let's move on from dreary talk to something more interesting. Sourdough.

The first starter I began unfortunately didn't work out, remember I had to start feeding it, but for some reason the weather being so uncertain here lately, it just killed the starter so down the drain it went.

My second attempt went much, much, MUCH better and turned itself into one of the most delicious Sourdough Bread loaves EVER.

Sourdough Bread

Best Sourdough Bread

1 cup Sourdough Starter
2/3 cup milk
2 TBSP soft butter
2 TBSP sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
1-1/2 tsp yeast

Mix the ingredients well.
Sourdough Bread Mixing

You can either make rolls or a loaf. If you're using a bread machine just use the instructions for the dough, then either roll into a loaf or make small rolls, setting them on a greased baking sheet. Allow to rise until doubled.

Sourdough Bread Rising

bake at 350* for approximately 25-35 minutes or until lightly browned.

Sourdough Bread

I'm not lying when I tell you that it was one of the BEST loaves of bread we've ever consumed. YUMMY doesn't even begin to cover it.

I'm onto my next Sourdough Starter project, going to try it again and I'm determined to stick to it and put up with the daily feedings and the changing of jars and whatever else comes my way.

All you really need is to get it right the first time and you'll have a Sourdough Starter that will last you for years.

This is the recipe I'm going to use, I found it online so thank you to The Cutting Board!

Sourdough Starter

2 cups lukewarm milk (lowfat is ok)
2 cups all purpose flour (seems to work better than bread flour)
2 1/2 tsp (one package) yeast

You will also need a large jar or container with a lid that has double the capacity of the starter, and a baking pan or big bowl to set it in to catch any oozing starter. (Use the initial mixing bowl after you clean it up.)

In a large capacity mixing bowl, mix gently on low speed of an electric mixer till all the big lumps are out. Pour it into your jar/container, wipe the rim and cover. Let it sit out a room temperature for 4-7 days to develop a good sour taste (don’t worry, it doesn’t spoil). Stir it once a day to “punch it down.” Chopsticks work well for stirrers. Watch it for running over – it gets exuberant in growth at this stage – if it does you can stir it back into the jar or container. That’s why you want a bowl underneath and a double capacity container! If you catch it in time before it runs over you can stir it down and/or transfer it to a larger container. Any clear liquid that forms on top can be stirred in or poured off as you prefer. It’s breakdown products from the yeast and will add a more sour taste to the starter.

After the initial “ripening” period, your starter can be used. Take out whatever portion your recipe calls for and replace it with an equal proportion of all-purpose flour and lukewarm water/milk mixture and stir them into the original starter. This will keep it alive – sourdough starter is a live culture and needs to be replenished regularly (at least twice a month) to remain active. After adding new ingredients wait another 12-24 hours before using or storing.

No comments: