Tuesday, July 13, 2010

{ Those dreaded chargers and cables }

2010_07130018

We all have them in our homes, they make everything look cluttered and unkempt and if there's one thing I really don't like, it's the feeling that things look messy even after I've tried my best to tidy up.

I have been putting up with cellphone, nintendo and ipod chargers for far too long and have always been on the lookout for a solution, but until today, nothing had come to me.

Then this morning I was reorganizing my bathroom drawers and cabinets and came across an adorable little box that used to contain bath products. And it hit me like a ton of bricks. YES, this is exactly what I was looking for.

2010_07130003

Now you can buy boxes especially made for this, but honestly, not only do I not want to spend the money on them, but they look very officey (I know that's not a word) to me, not welcoming at all in my kitchen.

So here's what I did.

I started by going through my chargers, getting rid of any old ones not needed anymore. Own up, I wanna see those hands raised for those who still have chargers laying around for cellphones that ceased to exist years ago? Come on now, we're all amongst friends here.

Once I got through those, I took the ones we actually do still use, then cut out a small label, wrote who it belongs to on there, like "Sandra's Cellphone", "Jasmine's camera", "Curt's Ipod" etc.

2010_07130004

Rolled them up nicely and popped them all into the box.

2010_07130011

I found an area right below the plug and that is where I set my box, now when something needs to be charged, we just grab the charger from inside, plug it in, shove the excess cord back in and close the lid. Now mind you, you can always move the cord to the back so that you don't see it, but really, I'm just so thrilled with the outcome that the tiny little bit of cord peeking through doesn't bother me.

2010_07130013

It doesn't look perfect, but I would say it's a HUGE improvement from the endless ugly black cords plugged in all over the counters. It's a way to keep them from getting lost too.

And when it's done charging, just unplug, roll it back up and pop it back in the box. Out of sight!

2010_07130015

Hope this inspires you to get rid of your charger and cable clutter!

No comments: