Wednesday, July 09, 2014

{ Summer Days }

Catching some sun

Oh the beautiful, lazy days of summer!

You know one thing we are really enjoying now that we are not living on base, is the fact that we can have a pool up and not be told constantly that it is not allowed. It was so frustrating in the summer months in Arizona, well, in any month in Arizona with those crazy high temps, to not be able to take a nice dip in the pool.

Now???

We're making up for lost time!

Let me start by saying that I'm not a swimmer. If you didn't know that about me, now you do. I can't swim, and not for lack of trying, but I have this irrational fear of water in my face or ears or being under the water.

It never used to be so, I remember as a young girl going for swimming lessons, and to friends houses to swim in their pools. I didn't know how to float or swim on top of the water, but I would dive underneath and swim under. Go figure!

Anyway, one day when I was about 13 years old, we were at a friends house, and she had some other friends over that didn't know me very well. As I was in the pool, just standing there at the side minding my own business and talking to my best friend, this girl came out of nowhere, bent down, and pushed my head under. I tried sooooo hard to get back up but I couldn't. To this day I can hear the water gurgling around me, and I remember the panic of trying to breathe without being able to.

Every time I managed to come back up, she would push me back in. She was laughing and I guess she thought it was a joke. All I remember is hearing one of my friends come running and screaming at her to let me go, that I didn't know how to swim. I managed to get out of the pool but had the worst headache ever for the remainder of the day.

Since then, I have this fear and just can't handle having my face near the water. Weird thing though? I can float on top of the water and kind of swim, but do not dare go under at all.

Just goes to show that things that happen in our childhood do in fact affect us for the rest of our lives.

Anyway, just a little story about little old me. I do love the pool now and every chance I get I am out there, floating around, swimming from side to side and just enjoying it.

Fun in the pool

My littlest pug is always ready to go in. I have never seen a pug that loves water as much as Miss Lola, goodness. She goes in, comes out and then barks and cries and tries to climb the pool ladder to get back in HA!

Miss Lola

Now remember I started the Walk it Off at Home exercise routine??? I've been very good, granted it's only been 3 days but I've done my walking every single day, without fail, even when I didn't feel like it.

Smoothie making

I did 1 mile the first day, 2 miles the second and today I did 3 miles. Love it!!!

I've also been drinking fruit smoothies either for breakfast or as a snack. Best thing is that my kids enjoy them too and this way I know they're getting all their fruits in.

Smoothie

So yummy, this one was banana, watermelon, blueberries, mango and strawberries with some rice milk.

Of course during these lazy summer days, I also indulge in my crochet. Wouldn't be me if I didn't right???

Crochet time

I'm working on a crochet valance for my hallway window. These flowers are quick to make and I think it will look so pretty.

Crochet Valance

My crochet blanket stash is growing, and these aren't even all of them. I just love looking at these baskets and seeing the different patterns and colors, so pretty.

Crochet baskets

But with so many blankets, I wanted to give that a break and do something smaller and quicker, so I opted for another cushion and this time it's all about the hexagons.

Hexagons

I had thought at first, of making the front hexagons and then keeping the back simple, but I decided to just go for it, because these are so quick to make too. I've already got the front and the back, they are identical, I just have to make some half hexagons for the sides and then sew it all up and be done. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Hexagon cushion

And finally, crazy enough or not, because I believe tea is to be enjoyed all year long, whether it be cold or hot, my newest afternoon indulgence consists of a cup of earl grey tea with milk. Yummy!!!

Remember that white shelf I showed you a while ago? It holds all my aprons? I've turned it into my Tea shelf, it contains some of my teas and tea sets. What do you think???

Sure makes brewing a cup of tea that much more enjoyable right?

I've also been enjoying some yummy food, I've been on a Mexican kick so most of the meals around here have been mexican inspired. You can check out the recipes on my food blog, for Saucy Mexican Chicken, Cilantro Lime Rice, Turkey and Vegetable Tostadas, some delicious Banana Jam and even some Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with whipped cream and caramel. Mmmmmm!

Well my friends, these have been the past few days of summer, and thrown in is a lot of book reading for upcoming reviews and from my Summer Reading List. Feels so good to sit down with a good book.

I hope you're all enjoying your summer, and I would love to hear about what you're doing. Anything interesting, fun plans, great vacation spots, what's been going on in your neck of the woods???

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Your cushion is going to look so pretty. One day I learn how to crochet...possibly, LOL.

Love a spot of Earl Grey myself...but no milk for me.

Hey Sandra, I know you'll be impressed with the thatched cottage we'll be visiting on our holiday this summer: http://www.classic.co.uk/holiday-cottage/desc-2400.html

Doesn't it look pretty? I'm so excited. xxx

Felicia said...

How horrible that the girl did that at least you can enjoy the pool some.

Love all the crocheting and the tea shelf sounds great. I love a good earl grey.

We've spent the last week finally sitting at home. Rather amazing to see my house for seven days in a row. I've taken time to clean, read and do a bunch of Cajun cooking.

Sweet Tea said...

So glad you're settled into your new place and enjoying the Summer.

Mary said...

My daughter had the same thing happen to her Sandra. She was ten, and visiting her grandparents at the beach during the summer, and this local girl she thought was her friend did the same thing, pushed her under and held her under the water for a long time. She was so frightened, and it wasn't until years later that she would go in the water. Lola looks as though she is enjoying herself.

Your crochet work is so beautiful, I really want to learn and do it well. My biggest problem in the past when I've tried to learn, has been not knowing whether the stitches were too loose or too tight.

I'd love to see a photo of your tea shelf.

No vacation for us, but we might try to get down to the beach at Chatham, on the Cape a few times. I've been puttering in the garden when I can.

Lulu said...

enjoy the summer days sandra..

Lorrie said...

I love all your blankets! They remind me of the ones my grandmother would make. She passed away 24 years ago and I still have the blanket she made for me on my bed every winter. I just signed up for classes to learn to crochet so I can start making blankets too!

Dawn Marie said...

That's a terrible thing to do to someone, especially if you aren't sure if that person can swim or not. I had someone do that to me too. I can swim but being held under water for a long amount of time isn't good. My kids can't swim yet so I don't allow them to go anywhere that there's a pool unless I'm with them. I'm hoping to teach them soon. My husband doesn't know how to swim. He's tried but he just can't get the hang of it. I don't think he's ever been properly taught though.

Susanne said...

Kids sometimes just don't get that what they are doing is terrifying and dangerous. Good for you for even getting in the pool! I would love to have a pool.

I've been drinking a lot of smoothies for breakfast too! Fills me up without being heavy. I add a couple tablespoons of plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese for protein.

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you are enjoying your summer. So sorry to hear about your terrible childhood experience with swimming. That was so cruel of that girl to do that! Sometimes, kids can do the meanest things to other kids! Thanks for the book review in your last post. I read a book about a midwife earlier this year (The Midwife of Hope County) and really loved it so I will definitely be on the look out for this book. Thanks and have a great week.

Theresa said...

When I was 9 my neighbour who was 14 and I happened to be at the outdoor pool on our base at the same time. To make his friends laugh, he grabbed my ankles and started throwing me up and down in the water. I thought I would drown right in front of the teenage lifeguard who was chatting up some girls. My neighbour eventually grew bored and let me go. Ironically and tragically that neighbour was showing off for his friends the following year and dove off a branch into an illegal swimming hole, broke his neck and drowned.

Everyone should have a healthy fear of water.