Thursday, August 22, 2019

{ Finally rain and a diagnosis at the doctor }


We have just had the most glorious of rain showers. 

Aahhh there is nothing quite like it, especially when you've been dealing with horrible heat and triple digits that just won't budge.  The first thunder boomed out and I must have looked like a crazy woman with a huge smile on my face.

It didn't last very long, about 30 minutes, but it cooled things down and the plants in the garden certainly welcomed the water.

I've had a bit of a busy day, an appointment, and a few hours homeschooling with Nick.  



I am not going to make a super long post, I don't have much to really talk about or share, but I did want to come and jot down my diagnosis at the OB/GYN today.  I went for my annual exam and I was actually up for a Pap Smear too.  It's already been 5 years since my last.

Everything went well, I'm fine and healthy, doctor is happy with my weight, my health and so on. 

But.....

If you remember, I've mentioned a couple times that I've noticed that since I've turned 42, my body has started changing and my hormones have a been a big out of whack.  Just started out with smaller changes but as I've gotten older, they have been more noticeable.  One of the biggest for me is the sweating and not handling the heat, the hot flashes during my period etc.

I was pretty sure that I may be in Perimenopause, but I wasn't certain and I've mentioned it to the doctors a couple times over the years and they've basically just kept an eye on it. 

Without going into details because I don't think we need to share all the intimated personal minute things in our lives, I will tell you that when they do the pap smear or an internal exam, they can tell if you're in that stage of life or entering it.  After talking at length with my doctor this morning, she was able to determine for sure that I am definitely in Perimenopause and not going crazy Hahah



I almost felt like I was at times, like no one was really understanding me and I would get comments such as "but you're too young to be going through that, there's no way that is right".  There's nothing like that to make you feel abnormal, when in fact, if you do your research, all of these bodily changes can start occurring in your 40s and I AM 45 so it's definitely not out of this world to be going through this.

Anyway, I am going back in 3 weeks, she wants to sit with me and talk about treatments or what we can do to help me through this stage, because as she says, she doesn't want to me to struggle with all these symptoms for the next 8 or so years until I actually hit Menopause.

I am a little apprehensive about taking hormone replacements because I've heard such awful things about side effects and increased risk of breast cancer and so on.  I don't quite know what to do, but I'm sure together with the doctor we can figure something out.  I may just try and suck it up and stick it out for another year or two and just see how it goes from there.

But yeah, that is the update, I do feel blessed and happy to have reached this new chapter in my life, it is all part of getting older and your body changing and I plan to embrace it and just ride it out.

I'm also really happy to finally have the doctor confirm the Perimenopause, at least now I know what is going on and can start dealing with it without wondering what is going on with my body.

Well friends, I am going to watch some TV, finish off my meal plan and grocery list and then get some sleep.  Tomorrow morning I need to drop Jasmine off at work and then go get some groceries, I will try to do a haul but I'm not sure if I'll be able to, we will see.

Have a wonderful Thursday night and may God continue to bless you all immensely!3

On this day in 2006 - Tackle it TuesdayTreasure TuesdaySchool news and a meme
On this day in 2007 -
On this day in 2008 - Orange Chicken,
On this day in 2009 -
On this day in 2010 - Sunday through the lens
On this day in 2011 - Happy Homemaker Monday
On this day in 2012 - 30 Day Husband Encouragement
On this day in 2013 -
On this day in 2014 - Show and Tell Friday,
On this day in 2015 -
On this day in 2016 - Happy Homemaker Monday,
On this day in 2017 -
On this day in 2018 -

3 comments:

Mary said...

Sandra, I know that as women we’ve seen this described as frightening and frustrating, a sign of getting old, but despite all my dread it wasn’t that way at all when it happened to me. It’s just another natural occurrence in a woman’s life.

Dawn Marie said...

It's quite normal for a woman in her 40s. I don't know why people feel the need to make those comments. My husband had both of his hips replaced in this 30s and everyone kept telling him, "but you are so young" and it annoyed him. I wish you luck with this new season of life. I'm sure I'll be there soon enough too.

Suellen Roley said...

What I found most frustrating about peri-menopause was having hot flashes while still having periods (and yes, I too was in my mid 40s when I was diagnosed), The funny thing is that when I actually went into menopause I had no hot flashes at all. We are all different. I haven't needed any hormone replacement therapy either.