Sunday, August 03, 2014

{ Come in and chat with me }



Good morning, it's such a beautiful day today!

Come on in and chat with me a little.  I have coffee, I have tea, I have cookies and I have very comfy couches that we can sit on and catch up.  If you prefer, we can sit at the kitchen table too.

I woke up in a pretty good mood, and I'm sure it had to do with me getting some pretty good sleep last night.  Isn't it amazing how a hot bubble bath before bed relaxes you?

So it's Sunday, and that means relaxing, taking it easy and not overdoing it.  Actually, it means me doing whatever I wish because the housework was already taken care of yesterday.

Last night remember I told you I didn't know what I wanted to crochet, well, I did know that I wanted to make something and was thinking another blanket, but I decided to go with something small just to try out the V-stitch and see how I liked it.

I whipped this one up in about an hour, that is how fast it went, and I am in love with the v-stitch, it looks pretty and it's one of those stitches that you can do while watching tv or chatting with family, you don't really need to count anything or pay much attention.

Beautiful Roses

I picked colors to match my kitchen, sticking with the white and the pastels, and I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

V-Stitch

First thing I did this morning, was to grab some fresh roses for the house, but also grab some cuttings to propagate some roses for the back yard.

Early morning sun

I've taken the advice of many online, and cut them at an angle, planted them in some soil in see through plastic glasses so we can see if the roots take on or not.

Roses

Roses Propagating

They take about 4 weeks to start rooting.  By then, if they do root, we can just plant them into the garden, but if they haven't rooted then we throw them out.  I'm just hoping they work, but from what I've read everywhere Roses are one of the easiest plants to propagate, so we'll see....wish me luck.

Rose Propagating

For now, they will sit on my kitchen counter, right on my pretty newest crochet creation.

Next thing I had on my list today, was to make some more Homemade French Bread Pizzas.  My husband and kids love these for lunches, but I don't love paying $10 a box for 8.  I find it very expensive.

Homemade French Bread Pizzas

I decided to give it a go and make them myself and they are all happy with that, and best part, we can change up the toppings and I can even make some veggie ones for myself.

The cost???  About $12 for 18 French Bread Pizzas.  I say that's a lot cheaper than $10 for 8, wouldn't you say?

While cleaning and reorganizing my books yesterday, I came across my devotionals.  Oh I love these, and I haven't read them in a while, between the move from Arizona to Idaho and then from the old house to this house, they had just seemed to have gotten lost along the way.  So glad I found them.

Devotionals

This morning I picked up the book on top, and opened to a page, any page, just random, and it landed on "The Joy of Aging".

It couldn't have come at a more appropriate time, seeing that I'm about to turn the big 40.  I've had a lot of questions on my mind and a lot of things have been swirling around in there.  Some I ask myself about how I've been living my 30's, others question what is to come in my 40's.

Sometimes I worry about getting old, sometimes I don't care at all and welcome it.  I guess I'm just at a crossroads of sorts and have a lot of thinking and praying to do.


That is what matters the most.  My Lord accepts me and takes me for who I am, grey hairs or not, old or young.

One quote from the devotional made me laugh and I thought I would share it with you.

So as birthdays come, don't think of yourself as growing old;  you've just reached that vibrant metallic age:  silver in your hair, gold in your teeth, and lead in your bottom! - Barbara Johnson

Now if that doesn't make you chuckle about aging, I don't know what will.  :)

Here's what I'm up to today:

  • Dinner will be Orange Chicken as requested by my boy, and he also wants some Sesame Noodles to go with it.  We've all been craving Chinese food and instead of going out and spending money, I can make it at home.

  • On the TV I am going to watch Long Island Medium which returns tonight, and I also want to start watching Emily of New Moon.  

I am off to have a cup of tea and then I think I will make a quick run to Walmart to check out the garden center and the yarn, of course.  I have decided I WILL make another blanket in the V-stitch and I have a very specific color palette in mind, unfortunately don't have quite the colors I am thinking of using.

I hope you are having a relaxing Sunday afternoon and an even better evening.


On this day:

2006:  My sides hurt from laughing so much
2007:  It's Friday already?!?!
2008:  Asian Beef Wraps
2009:  Happy Homemaker Monday
2010:  
2011:
2012:  One step closer
2013:

6 comments:

Renate said...

I love your mat. I made a shawl last winter using the v stitch. You are so right it is so easygoing. I was sorry to see it end. Yesterday I finished my hearts and flowers garland for above my kitchen sink. It is so adorable. Today I have been working on a mat for my kitchen. Have a great week. :)

Melissa Hopper said...

I have just recently taught myself to crochet and have been working on a blanket. I started it for a baby that I was carrying but ended up miscarrying. I put it down for a couple of weeks and have picked it back up to try to finish it. I have used 5 balls of yarn so far and it still does not look big enough..How many balls is a good amount?

Mary said...

Good luck with your cuttings rooting. My grandmother on my dad's side showed me how to do it, and I had some good luck with cuttings from old rose varieties.. but not when I tried some cuttings from dog roses. I really wanted to have them in my garden, especially for their rosehips. I ended up buying a few at a nursery.

Carol said...

Be sure to keep us updated on the rose cuttings! I've never tried it before, but if you have success I will give it a go!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Hello dear! I love growing older, but then again the doctors said I would not live past the age of 5 years and here I am at 55!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Hi Sandra!
I'm back from vacation and catching up on my favorite blogs. You inspire, inspire, inspire! I WILL learn to crochet one day. I love that v-stitch mat!!

I really think I may start a blog in the Fall. My creativity lies in scrapbooking & paper crafting & would do a blog on that, as well as love to cook & bake & find antiques for my cottage home on a bay in the Northwoods.

Thanks for sharing & loving your blog all over again.