Friday, February 03, 2017

{ Period Drama Movies, Series and Documentaries }


Hey everyone, well guess what, I'm back with an updated list of the newer period dramas tv series and documentaries, available to watch and some upcoming that you don't want to miss.

It's been quite a long time since I've updated my lists here on the blog, and if you've never had a browse through them be sure to check them out over there on my sidebar.  There's Movies, Documentaries, TV series and even a Book list for you all :)

I can't believe it's been such a long time since I've done one of these, so I'm hoping you will all enjoy these suggestions and either find one you already love or a new favorite to enjoy.

Let's get right on it, oh and some of them have been on for a year or so but I'm adding them here because I've yet to add them to the lists linked above and I want to have everything in one place, makes it easier.




The Halcyon - {Just started}

The Halcyon tells the story of a bustling and glamorous five star hotel at the centre of London society and a world at war. The eight-part drama series , set in 1940, shows London life through the prism of war and the impact it has on families, politics, relationships and work across every social strata.

You can watch on ITV or online on TVMuse.





Taboo - {Just started}


Set in 1814, Taboo follows James Keziah Delaney, a man who has been to the ends of the earth and comes back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to London from Africa to inherit what is left of his father's shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. But his father's legacy is a poisoned chalice, and with enemies lurking in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. Encircled by conspiracy, murder and betrayal, a dark family mystery unfolds in a combustible tale of love and treachery.

 You can watch Taboo on FX or online at TVMuse.




The Son - {Coming to AMC in March}

Based on Philipp Meyer’s acclaimed novel, the multigenerational epic will follow two concurrent time periods: One, the story of young Eli McCullough after he is kidnapped and indoctrinated into a tribe of Comanches in 1849. The other, 60 years later, when we see a grown Eli struggle to maintain his family’s cattle empire during the turbulent Bandit Wars of South Texas.

*I'm quite excited about this one, Pierce Brosnan plays role of Eli.*


The following series are upcoming, no final dates yet given but they look very good.

Alias Grace -  Based on the true story of Grace Marks, a housemaid and immigrant from Ireland who was imprisoned in 1843, perhaps wrongly, for the murder of her employer Thomas Kinnear. Grace claims to have no memory of the murder yet the facts are irrefutable. A decade after, Dr. Simon Jordan tries to help Grace recall her past.

Charlotte -  During America's tumultuous years before the Civil War, a Southern family struggles with being societies "upper-crust" while operating a profitable plantation and secretly pushing for the emancipation of slaves.

Jamestown - 8 episodes about the English settlers in Jamestown in 1619.

The White Princess -  Based on the Philippa Gregory book of the same name, the story of Elizabeth of York, the White Queen's daughter, and her marriage to the Lancaster victor, Henry VII. *TRAILER*

WillWill is an upcoming American television series about the (fictional) life of William Shakespeare in his early 20s. The series has been ordered for a first season containing 10 episodes, on May 18, 2016 to be broadcast on TNT. *TRAILER*



Movies



Tulip Fever - {February 24th}


Set against the backdrop of the 17th-century Tulip Wars, a married noblewoman (Alicia Vikander) has an affair with an artist (Dane DeHaan) and switches identities with her maid to escape the wealthy merchant she married.



 King Arthur Legend of the Sword - {March 24th}


When the child Arthur's father is murdered, Vortigern (Jude Law), Arthur's uncle, seizes the crown. Robbed of his birthright and with no idea who he truly is, Arthur comes up the hard way in the back alleys of the city. *TRAILER*



My Cousin Rachel - {June 9th}

A dark romance, My Cousin Rachel (2017) tells the story of a young 19th century Englishman who plots revenge against his mysterious, beautiful cousin, believing that she murdered his guardian.

But his feelings become complicated as he finds himself falling under the beguiling spell of her charms.  *TRAILER*



Lady MacBeth - {June}

In this adaptation of Nikolai Leskov's novella "Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk, a 19th century young bride is sold into marriage to a middle-aged man.*TRAILER*



Documentaries


I am completely obsessed with documentaries, history documentaries that is.  On my quiet relaxing days, I could easily go through a half dozen documentaries in one day.  I just pop one on the laptop and go about my chores.

I know a few of you also enjoy documentaries and there is already a pretty good list on the sidebar, but there have been quite a few new ones that I have to bring to your attention.

Let's get right into it shall we?

You can watch most of these on Youtube.  But, the thing with Youtube is that many times the newest documentaries are posted and then quickly removed by Youtube, so you have to be pretty quick about it.

The way I do it is by downloading the video to my computer so that I can watch it later.  You probably didn't know that did you?  Let me show you how easy it is.

When you find the video you want to download, all you have to do is go up top to the address bar, and add dl right before youtube.  So for example..... if the video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvBIkhxDMEc.......you are going to change it to https://www.dlyoutube.com/watch?v=dvBIkhxDMEc.

Once you hit enter, it will immediately take you to Tube Ninja and it will give you a link to download.

I've been able to watch some of my favorite documentaries this way :)

Now that I got that out of the way, here are some really good documentaries you may enjoy.

British History's Biggest Fibs with Lucy Worsley - Love this documentary and it just started, matter of fact yesterday was the second episode. 

If Walls could talk by Lucy Worsley - Another fabulous documentary taking us through the rooms of the house and how they came to be.

Henry VIII and Anne The Lovers who changed England with Suzannah Lipscomb - I love Suzannah Lipscomb as much as I love Lucy Worsley, and this documentary was so interesting. 

Inside the Court of Henry VIII - Another good one if you love the whole Tudors and Henry VIII history.

Richard III The King in the Car Park - Ok so if you follow the news, I'm sure you remember when Richard III's remains were found in a car park in England?  This documentary tells the whole story and follows the process from before the dig, to during the excavation, the tests done to determine if it was Richard etc.  I really enjoyed watching it.

The Last Days of Mary Queen of Scots - Another fantastic documentary about the life of Mary Queen of Scots.





I hope I've given you quite a few new ones to enjoy.  I'll continue to pass new period dramas to you, as I come across them.

In the meantime, if there is anything you would like to see featured specifically, let me know.

I'm going to start on The Halcyon this evening, hoping it's as good as it looks, and I'll let you know what I think.  :)

8 comments:

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

Thanks for the list. I watched Dr. Thorne the other day. Superb.

Pamela said...

The Halcyon looks good - have you seen The Grand with Susan Hampshire?

Mari said...

Wow - great list! The Son looks really good!

Sandra said...

Doctor Thorne is very good, I think no one can do period drama like Julian Fellowes :)

Sandra said...

Yes I have and it was very good :)

Sandra said...

Doesn't it? I'm so happy lately that we keep getting really good American based period dramas about the history of the US. It's about time :)

Simply Quaint said...

Wonderful list...thank you....I need to go check these out....definitely Dr. Throne....and I'm hearing a lot about Victoria......
Have a wonderful weekend....
Blessings
Rhonda

Unknown said...

You should see The Crown on Netflix! It is good! Shall check out everything you put in here! ♥️