Saturday, January 14, 2023

{ Blog 365 #14 - A little crochet }


 
 
IMG_4536

I haven't been in the mood to crochet.  Bummer!!!

If you've followed me for a few years, you know that I love crocheting, and always had a project on the go.  Then we moved to Texas and life changed so much, that I found myself not having the time to crochet as much as I wanted.

Then last year, I started developing arthritis in my hands, and that made it a bit painful to do anything.  Holding the hook and the repeated movement just made my hands cramp.  I tried to start a few projects, but it didn't last long.

However, as I've been looking through my blog and older posts, I couldn't help but notice how much crochet was a part of my life.  It made me miss it.

_MG_1671

Then I came across this bag I made back in 2009.  It is was the first crochet bag that Lucy at Attic 24, put out.  I fell in love with it immediately, and had so much fun making it, but it was the only one I ever made....even though in my mind I always planned to make another or two, or three.

Having come across these older posts made me want to make another, so I gathered my yarn this morning and got started.

IMG_4531

IMG_4532

IMG_4533
 
I popped on a documentary on the TV, and just allowed myself to crochet without thinking about it.  I just kept changing the colors, moving the hook back and forth, and before I knew it, the bottom of my bag was complete.
 
I had forgotten just how quickly this bag works up.  
 
While I was working on the bag, I was also browsing through Lucy's blog.  Lucy has been blogging for many, many years.  I consider her one of the original bloggers, and if you look through her blog it has stayed the same all these years.  How I love that!  

IMG_4534

IMG_4537

Lucy first started sharing her love for crochet, on her Attic 24 blog.  She grew a pretty big following, started teaching us how to make the beautiful blankets, bags and pillows she was making, and pretty soon was a big name in the crochet community.  You couldn't talk about crochet without mentioning Lucy, or Attic 24.

But unlike others who grew big and changed the way they blogged, she stayed the same.  I can go into her website and feel like I've been transported back in time.  I love that feeling, it's exactly what I strive to do on my own little corner of the web.  To never change the way I share my life, to continue in exactly the same way I have done since 2006.  Some things are better left untouched.

But anyway, I am really enjoying working on this bag.  As soon as it's done, I will be making another, this time Lucy's Jolly Chunky Bag, which is actually the same bag, but an updated version, a smaller chunkier version to be exact.  Just perfect for me to use my worsted weight yarn scraps.

Let me know if you've ever been over to Lucy's, if you've made any of her projects, or what you're working on at the moment.  Would love to know!

5 comments:

Carol said...

I have stopped by her site a few times. I used to crochet but mainly just single and double stitch and never really followed through with it. I am enjoying Blog 365 and so far have been successful in making sure I have a post each day.

Jean said...

My mom could crochet but never managed to teach me (I'm left handed). I keep getting tempted by this add on Instagram for something called woobles where they send these little starter kits and teach you through videos. Maybe one day I'll give in to the advertising. The mix of the yellows and pink colors in the last pictures is so beautiful!

Carol said...

Yes! I made that bag too, as well as one of her ripple blanket patterns. I still enjoy her blog as well - her photos make everything look so cozy.

Daniela said...

I didn't know about this blog. Thanks for writing about it!
I love to crochet too.

Daniela said...

You could try learning. I have a cousin who crochets with her left hand. I assume you'll find tutorials for left-handers.
I don't always crochet either. I learned in 2017 all from the internet. However, I've been sewing and knitting since I was a kid.