Wednesday, January 18, 2023

{ Blog 365 #18 - Little bits of home }


 
 
I believe that what makes our homes, our own, are the small details found in the corners of our homes.  

Those little details, a small vase with outside flowers, an open old book, a candle, a picture and so forth.  
 
I have always admired those who have a definite theme or style.  They pick one, and then move forth in decorating their house according to it.  But if you were to ask me, what mine is?  Yeah, I have no clue!!!

I would call it ME
 
It's just me, and what I like.  What I feel brings me joy and makes me smile.  It's home, it's a mixture of the things I feel describe me as a person.  I guess if I were forced to name it, I would probably say it's Farmhouse/Country/Primitive....but is it?  I don't know.  All I know is that I like it.

IMG_4540

IMG_4541

 
I've seen so many dear friends, and strangers, compare themselves to the picture perfect, magazine worthy images online, especially on Instagram.  It's almost like they stop enjoying their own lives and their homes, because they always feel lacking in one way or another.

The constant need for competition, to be better, to buy what others have, to decorate like this influencer or that influencer.  Why?  I guess I'll never understand it.

Just be happy in your own skin, in your own home, and with the things that you've worked so hard for.

When we stop comparing, we start living.  Ask me how I know?  Yep, I too fell victim to that vicious circle of thinking.  All of a sudden the things I had and was so proud of sharing here on the blog and on my own Instagram account, started seeming meaningless and less than.  It bothered me, like really bothered me to the point I stopped enjoying homemaking or doing things around my home.

I didn't want to make anything.  Didn't want to add any little touches here or there, like I used to when I first started blogging.  Truth be told, sometimes I look back on older posts and think, "Girl, I wouldn't have shared that, it would be looked down on in this day and age".
 

IMG_4556

 
And then I quickly tell myself, "Good!  That means it meant something and made me unique".

This blogging world started with some many women, a lot of them stay at home moms and homemakers, just wanting to share their homes, their lives, tips, recipes, and to interact with other like minded individuals.

There wasn't judgement, there wasn't competition, money making, look at me and do what I do attitudes.  I miss that, like a lot.  We weren't trying to keep up with everyone else, we were too busy taking care of our families.

IMG_4557

IMG_4559

IMG_4560

IMG_4562


I was stuck in that cycle for about a year.  It was actually right after we moved to Texas.  A lot of things took a nose dive once we moved here.  I couldn't understand it at first, but I do now.  See, God picked this spot for us to live, knowing that we would thrive and grow and finally plant down roots for ourselves and our children.

Like any other time that happens, the hits come quick and hard.  There were moments, where I felt so overwhelmed with life in general, that I didn't want to keep going.  I gave up homemaking, I did what I needed to as basic necessities for the family.  We never went without a meal, or had a dirty home, but the love I poured into it wasn't there.  

Most of my time was spent laying around, on the phone, scrolling through social media and wondering why others had it together, and I didn't.  Why others had money and we were struggling.  Why their homes looked like magazine photo shoots and mine didn't.

That was a horrid place to be in, and not on I ever want to return to.  Trust me!

But I pulled closer to God and as I did that, He pulled me up and out of that dark place.  I started loving homemaking again, started looking forward to new recipes, blogging, taking photographs, making things, adding little bits here and there and so on.

The moment I gave up worrying about social media, life just became what it was.  A joy.  A true contentment feeling, engulfed in these 4 walls.

I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Anyway, just above I shared some pictures.  Those amber colored jars are glass, I've wanted some for quite a while just didn't want to pay too much for them.  But.....Target just brought these out.  The big ones for laundry detergent are $5 each, and the dish soap, hand soap, and spray bottles are just $3 each.  Well worth the money, I say.

Alright, I am going to get off here and get myself ready.  We are headed to a local Mexican store/butcher, to get meats for the upcoming two weeks, and possibly grab some dinner too.  

Have a wonderful blessed day friends.  And remember, love your life, love your homes!

6 comments:

Debbie said...

So much truth in this post. I started blogging when I was homeschooling my boys and needed to connect with like-minded moms who were spending their days at home too (that was 2008!). It was such a joy and I'm still friends with several of those women, to this day. But then...social media. We have lost so much due to FB and IG and the other platforms. Society can only think in snippets now. We've lost our ability to read for substance, because if it's longer than a few sentences, we can't focus. Everyone is an expert at everything. Everyone is offended. And the comparison has robbed our joy over and over.

For years I thought that blogging was over and lost and then I came back and started from scratch. And now I am slowly building back a sweet community of regular women, who just post the real stuff. And I'm so thankful.

Every morning I pour my coffee and sit down to see how everyone's day went yesterday. I look forward to reading about their days, meals and whatever else they want to share. And guess what? I'm slowly turning away from having to check my phone all the time. And it feels wonderful!

And what you said about sharing the decor in our home and feeling good about it, is so true. Social media and even some big bloggers are so polished and curated that it's impossible to feel connected and yet, we feel envious or like we will never be that talented. I've stopped following many of those accounts. Some make me feel inspired, but many make me feel defeated by their perfection.

Anyway, obviously I could go on and on, but I need to get back and write something for my own blog (which is very normal, by the way). :)

Have a beautiful day!

Jean said...

I really enjoyed reading this post and seeing your pictures. Admittedly, I started blogging with the "oh, I'm going to be rich and famous maybe" thought which quickly disappeared as I discovered I prefered the relationships and connections with the more everyday, not in it for that bloggers. Seemed there were fewer of those and the connections each year. I'm glad you did the blog365 as it already have a bit of that feeling again (and I've always had it with the HHM you do each week). Happy almost the weekend!

Carol said...

This blog is so true. I also have been in a dark spot with my homemaking. After foot surgery last year twice and being off my feet for so long even the daily tasks were daunting and I could not fathom doing more around here than just those things. I got caught up on FB and wanting to check it regularly and let my blogging go. I find that I enjoy it more than FB though and I enjoy having a nice home so I am making it a point to do more at home and on here. I limit FB to once or twice a day at the most.

Luludou said...

very accurate. Love the amber jars - been wanting some for awhile now. No target around here

Julieann said...

Sandra, Can I just say how much I loved this post!!! Every part of it. I am right there with you about missing the old blogging days. I am so grateful I found you and this little blogging community. I am definitely going to play Happy Homemaker this Monday. I can't believe I missed two Mondays in a row. I am so sorry, because I love it so. I adore the fact that you have brought back a tiny bit of the blogging magic that once was :) Those amber jars are gorgeous and what a great deal. Your new cover photo is just so lovely.
Your Blogging Friend,
Julieann :)

Carol said...

I love seeing real, actual homes (and corners of homes). I hope you will keep sharing what makes you YOU!