Monday, November 17, 2014

Glimpsing Heaven - TLC Book Tour

Glimpsing Heaven

Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: National Geographic (September 2, 2014)

If you caught a glimpse of heaven, would you choose to come back to life? Many people alive today have experienced clinical death—a heart that has stopped beating, brain activity that has flat lined—and returned to life with lucid, vivid memories of what occurred while they were dead. Judy Bachrach, investigative journalist and contributing editor at Vanity Fair, presents their astonishing stories here, giving us a rare glimpse of life after death. She consulted the world’s leading scientific and medical experts on death experience to explore whether the science supports the stories—and now, in Glimpsing Heaven, her surprising discovery puts death in a whole new light.

394175 02: Journalist and author Judy Bachrach poses for a portrait September 19, 2000 in Washington, DC. Bachrach published a book, "Tina and Harry Come To America," which chronicles the British power couple of publishing, Tina Brown and Harry Evans. (Photo by Dirck Halstead/Getty Images)


JUDY BACHRACH is a veteran journalist, having worked at the Washington Post, the Washington Star, and Vanity Fair, for which she covered stories on Sylvio Berlusconi, Amanda Knox, and Stephen Hawking. She was educated at Chatham College, the University of Brussels, and Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism. In the course of volunteering as a hospice worker, a path she initially chose to conquer her fear of death, she met numerous nurses, doctors, and scientists who have helped her with this book.

*********************************

I have always been fascinated by near death experiences, and any chance I get to watch a documentary, movie, read a newspaper article or a book on this subject, is a happy moment.

When I received the book in the mail, I quickly scanned through it's pages and at first was going to put it aside to start reading after I finished my current one, but I decided against it and immediately picked it up.

Let's just say that from the moment I read the first page, this book went with me everywhere, in the car while my husband drove us to base, on the kitchen counter while I made dinner, out on the deck while I sipped a cup of coffee.

I think what makes this a great, and fascinating book, is that the author mixes science with good storytelling to really convey what these so called "death travelers", are in essence, experiencing the minute they die.   She also interviews physicians letting us hear their side of the story, and all in attempt to help us all put aside our fear of death.

I couldn't put this book down and was so sad when it came to an end.  Would highly recommend it :)
 

 
 Thank you to TLC Book Tours for providing me with a review copy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good one. I love when I find a good book that really pulls me in so much that it's hard to put down!

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I love it when I have a book that I just HAVE to take everywhere with me to read every chance I get. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much! Thanks for being a part of the tour.