Friday, April 14, 2023

{ Blog 365 #104 - International Period Dramas }

There are quite a few new International Period Dramas, available to watch.  I know that not many enjoy watching these, and that the language can be a barrier, mainly because some also don't like watching shows or movies with subtitles.

I used to be one of those people.  If it had subtitles, I wasn't interested.  I felt like it confused me, or rather, distracted me from the show and I spent so much time reading the screen, completely missing the people or the action happening.

However, over the past few years, I have fallen in love with some of the best international period dramas, available, which also happen to be foreign language.  The subtitles no longer bother me, thankfully.

So, if you, like me, enjoy foreign language series, I have a few for you. 
 


 
Seaside Hotel (Denmark)
 
The first one I'll mention is Seaside Hotel, which I talked about a few posts ago.  I just binged it and absolutely loved every episode.  I'm quite sad that it seemed to have ended abruptly, or rather, without really closing any storylines.  I don't know if the show was canceled or if it will ever return.  Each season usually had 6 episodes, but the last season had just 5.  Weird!!!

Don't let that stop you from watching though, it is quite a wonderful series, taking place in a summer hotel near the beach. 




 
The Law According to Lidia Poet (Italy)

Forbidden from practicing law, a woman prepares an appeal to overturn the court's decision in this true story of Lidia Poët, Italy's first female lawyer.
 
 
 
 
 
War Sailor (Norway)
 
A Norwegian series.   The sailor Alfred is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean when World War II breaks out. Suddenly the sailors are in the front of the war, without any weapons.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 The Empress(Germany)
 
When rebellious Elisabeth falls for Emperor Franz and becomes his unlikely bride, she enters a world of tensions and intrigue at the Viennese court.
 
 
 

 
Madame K (Estonia)

Now this one, some of you may not be interested in, as the story surrounds a brothel during World War II, but I think it's still worth taking a look. 
 
The world-shattering events of World War II are told through the eyes of the people working at and frequenting Madame K’s elite brothel in the capital city of Tallinn. From Walter Presents, in Estonian with English subtitles.
 
 
 

 
The Empress (Austria)
 
Young Maria Theresa is the heiress to the Habsburg Empire, but she’s not in charge of her own destiny. Must she sacrifice her happiness to the state? From Walter Presents, in German with English subtitles.
 
 
 

 
Hotel Sacher (Austria)
 
Aristocracy sets the tone in the Hotel Sacher, Vienna’s most distinguished hotel. However, a new era is about to begin, and with it, social upheaval.





Tunnel of Dreams (Switzerland)
 
Building a tunnel through the Swiss Alps is an undeniably earth-shattering event in the 19th century. In the spring of 1873, people from all over the world come to the village of Goschenen for the most spectacular construction site of modern times: the tunnel through the Gotthard. Tunnel of Dreams tells the story of love, friendships, loyalty and uprisings.
 
 
 

 
 Paradise (Italy) 
 
If you loved Mr. Selfridge, you'll definitely enjoy this one.  
 
this Italian series takes its inspiration from Emile Zola’s novel, Au Bonheur des Dames, but imagines the department store drama in 1950’s Milan, Italy’s cosmopolitan capitol for fashion. Paradise is an ensemble drama portraying tightknit relationships between store employees. After World War II, society is changing, especially expectations for women.
 
 
 

 
The Time in Between (Spain) 
 
This acclaimed series follows the life of a young seamstress. In the months leading up to the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), Sira abandons Madrid in order to follow the man she loves to Tangier. But things there do not turn out as she had planned, and she is forced to take charge of her life. Sira struggles to balance her double life as both a prominent couturier and an Allied spy.
 
 

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I love period dramas! I have watched so many on Prime and am tempted to go back and watch them again, because I feel like I can't find any other good ones. I've attempted to watch the ones with foreign subtitles, but get distracted by it all. I love The Paradise, Land Girls and so many others (too many to name from memory). I may have to give the foreign ones another go. Thanks for the recommendations!

Pamela said...

I love period dramas too! These are great recommendations. I really enjoyed The Empress on Netflix and look forward to checking out the PBS Masterpiece version.