Monday, September 10, 2018

{ A Slow Monday }

_MG_2879

6 AM came around pretty quick this morning.

The alarm sounded off and both Curt and I sighed and groaned, not ready to get out of bed, to get the day started or the week for that matter.

The weekend went by way too fast for us both, and it didn't feel like two days of sleeping in past 6AM, was nearly enough for how tired we felt.  Honestly, it didn't help that we both seemed to be tossing and turning all night, not quite able to fall asleep or stay asleep. 



_MG_2880

I made my way into the kitchen, the house still dark but for a few lamps here and there.  I tend to leave a light or two on in the living room because the kids, being the teenagers that they are, often go to bed late and so end up in the kitchen at all times of the night.  Since this is a huge house, and we've had some weird things happen before, they don't feel comfortable braving it in the dark, and quite frankly I don't blame them.

I got coffee for the hubby and his lunch ready, and then sat down for a few minutes while he finished getting ready to leave.

_MG_2882

We have this routine, it's like a well oiled machine that just runs without even needing prompting.

  1. Alarm goes off, he heads to the bathroom to get ready, I head to the kitchen.
  2. I make coffee and bring him his cup, he is usually sitting at his computer and quickly goes through emails or Facebook and so on, while drinking his coffee.
  3. I sit in the living room with Marley and read my Bible or check my email as well.
  4. When hubby is ready to leave for work, he goes to the kitchen, grabs his lunch and a treat for Marley, says goodbye to him, hugs and kisses me goodbye and heads to the car.
  5. Marley always and I mean ALWAYS sits at the window and watches because as Curt starts to drive away, he opens his window and yells out "Bye Marley".  
  6. After he leaves, we both head back to bed and I'll usually turn on the TV and watch some Youtube Vlogs or my Portuguese soap, until about 7:30AM then I get up and start my day.
There are very few days that don't start in this order.

_MG_2889

This morning, since I'm trying not to overdo things and further irritate my back, I decided to take things slow.....well that and the fact that I was so tired from the lack of sleep the night before.

I started my morning with a cup of coffee and a cheeky donut, I can't help it, donuts are my downfall.

_MG_2891

I had quite a bit of laundry to iron, so I turned on Netflix on my Amazon Firestick (which by the way has been the BEST investment I have ever made), and got right to work.

Over the years I've mentioned quite a few times that I love ironing.

On days that I'm moving slower, or feeling not as peppy as usual, I find that ironing helps me stay calm and breathe.  Maybe it's the movement of the iron slowly moving over the clothes, or maybe it's the repetitiveness of the whole process, but I absolutely love it.

I vacuumed both living rooms (probably shouldn't have done it, but I did take care to go slow)
Cleaned the kitchen
Did homeschooling
Answered emails
Read a bit more of my current book for review
And then got started with dinner.

Tonight, it was steak, cheesy mashed potato balls and some steamed broccoli.

_MG_2902

The potatoes I actually made in my Air Fryer instead of frying in oil, and they turned out so good.  I still need to perfect the recipe though because some were falling apart, but as soon as I get it right, I'll share it with you all.

_MG_2897

The Broccoli I steamed in my Pressure Cooker, and I always do that, even with Cauliflower.

I'll be sharing this on my food blog, but I thought I would let you all know here too.  The secret to perfectly steamed broccoli in the pressure cooker is in how long you cook it.

I'll tell you that anything longer than even a minute, is way too much and will turn your broccoli to mush.  Ask me how I know?  Hahah

So here's the trick.....you cook it for ZERO minutes.  Now just wait, don't go throwing your arms in the air and thinking I've lost my mind.  It honestly works.

Put your broccoli in your pressure cooker, you don't even need to use a steam basket (I never do), and add 1/2 cup of water.

Lock the lid in place, make sure the valve is set to seal and turn it on.  Select the Manual option and leave it at zero, or go down to zero if yours is not automatically there (mine is).  Walk away!!!

When pressure has been built it will beep, do a quick release and remove the broccoli immediately.  That's it....that is all!!!

Give it a try next time and let me know what you think :)

I'm off to rub some Icy Hot on my back and finish watching Lords and Ladles, I'm already on Season 2 and almost done.  Yes, I binge watched it this weekend while laid up with my back pain.

Right, time to get on out of here, I'll see you all tomorrow where I'll take you on a little walk around my property and show you how Fall is starting to show it's face.

1 comment:

Simply Quaint said...

How sweet Marley watching daddy, I love it...yes a routine is what keeps me balanced....I am a home body, but this past summer has changed that, I took on roll of helping care for my granddaughter, so a lot of running back and forth, but it’s slowing down, she is in preschool, I’m helping with pick up and drop off but not too much now....I too over due and then deal with lots of back issues...we need to slow down...lol right....love your daily post, so wonderful to see them...thank you for sharing.
Blessings
Rhonda