Sunday, September 17, 2006

KNOW WHAT I'M CRAVING???

A "Galao", it's this very popular coffee served in Portugal. It's like half milk and half coffee in a tall glass, but it's just SOOO good.

I remember growing up in Portugal, every coffee house, restaurant, snack bar etc, serves coffee. I would have to say the most common request is the "Bica" an espresso. The second most common would be the "galao" and then for the kids there's the "garoto" which is more milk than coffee.

Nothing like walking into a "pastelaria" in the morning and ordering a galao and a pastel de nata. Those were my favorites :)

Yesterday was one of those days. The ones that make up for all the bad times you may have. As a mom, there's times that I feel like I'm loosing control, of the kids, of the house, of myself actually......I want to just run out the door and keep going!
The kids act out (how dare they act like kids? lol) and I walk around stressed, exhausted and really down.

We didn't get to make it to the grocery store, we went to the BX where we were met by Mickey Mouse, Minnie, Winnie the Pooh, Tiger and Roo. The kids were thrilled, well, Jasmine was thrilled, Nicholas was not impressed. He walked with his eyes closed so as not to see them LOL

We grabbed some lunch and then came home to eat while waiting for the library to open. After the library trip, which they actually behaved for, we came back home again, took a bubble bath, put on pj's then sat on the couch reading books, thrilling ME beyond words, my kids love books, is there anything better than that???

After the books they wanted to do some finger painting....yes, a bit backwards since they had just had a bath, but then again the whole day was backwards because we NEVER have baths in the middle of the day. But anyway, after their "works of art", we migrated to the bedroom, lay down and took a 2 hour nap. It's a *drumroll*, *hands up in the air*, *hallelujah* kind of thing, the last time I was able to take a nap was, well, I really can't remember, it's been years. LOL

I woke up before they did, and as I looked over and saw them snuggled up, peacefully sleeping, I thought "boy, if I could just have hubby here right now, I would freeze this moment in time". You ever have one of those moments you want to capture??? Those where you just know that you're in the right place and the right time, no where else you would rather be???
Life is good, it's full of ups and downs but it makes it exciting and worthwhile.
We're saving the grocery store trip for this morning, and for some reason, I'm not dreading it like I always do. I'm a true believer that negative thoughts bring negative situations.
I will admit that everytime I have to get groceries or make a run to a store, with kids in tow, I start panicking and tell myself "you know what's going to happen, the kids are going to act up, they're going to run away, they're going to make you scream like a psycho, you won't be able to get the groceries". Low and behold, I am usually the frazzled psycho mom running after the kids, trying to keep them in the cart, and walking out with only half of what she needed.

I'm picking a different approach today, I'm going to think positively, I'm going to imagine that they cooperate and that our trip will actually be pleasant. So now let's see how things go.

While out yesterday, I signed us up for some family photos. Every year there is a photography studio that comes to the base, they take really good pictures, the last time they were here, we didn't do a family portrait, just the kids. Look how adorable they turned out:


We're having Sepia Toned Family portraits done :) I just can't wait :)

BTW, yes this is a new template. What do you know? I woke up this morning to a "blue screen of death" and a messed up computer again. I think it's time for a new one soon, just wish they weren't so expensive. For now, I'm just going to have to stick it out with this one.

Arrrgh, I just took a sip of my coffee and it's cold. Nothing worse than a mouthful of cold yucky coffee. So, I am going to refill and then finish getting the kids ready to head out.

Father, we thank thee for the night,
And for the pleasant morning light.
For rest and food and loving care,
And all that makes the day so fair.
Help us to do the thing we should,
To be to others kind and good,
In all we do, in all we say,
To grow more loving every day.
Rebecca J. Weston



whatcooking



For dinner I'm making Barb's Sloppy Joes, go on over and get the recipe, they sound delicious :)


whatwatching



Anne of Green Gables
Felicity an American Girl
60 Minutes





whatdoing


Grocery shopping
Vacuuming and steam cleaning carpets
Mopping kitchen floor
Laundry

15 comments:

Annie said...

I know those kinds of days...both of them..thank the Lord the good ones come more often!!

I'll have to ask my portugese SIL about the coffee, my brother and her went back to Portugal (to the Azores) in the summer...the pictures were beautiful.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Mmm that coffee looks good!

Glad to hear you had a lovely day. One lovely day makes up for 20 bad ones if it's a truly truly lovely day :)

As for the groceries, we've found that making a list and giving it to Sarah to cross off as we shop works wonders. 1) she's entertained and sticking near the cart and 2) we don't forget anything.

GL

Hugs

Julie

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish we could have one of those family nap days! I could use one right now...

mom of 2 said...

I love to watch my kids sleeping...so sweet!!

I usually buy my kids a little something either before or after the shopping trip. Travis will do anything for some Juicy Fruit or Bubble Tape and Emily will do anything for chocolate. When they were younger I would go first to the cracker aisle and buy the little box of animal crackers for them to eat during the trip. Then I'd basically go at sprint pace to get everything I needed before the crackers ran out! Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Sandra, I was an exchage student in Portugal when I was 16 (way too long ago!) and I LOVED it. Where is your family from? YOu can email if ya want!!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

So kids really do drink coffee? Yesterday morning my DD (age 9) approaches me and says... "Mom, would you make me some coffee?"

HUH?? Maybe she really meant one of those "garoto's" you mentioned??? Who knew??

someone else said...

Oh those pictures are adorable. I can't wait to see the new ones!

Beck said...

Hi Sandra! I'm sorry to say that I've had to change my commenting process over at my blog - I was getting some wackadoo comments this afternoon, let me tell you! So now I have only registered users. If that doesn't work for you, you can email me your comments... :(

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

That half milk half coffee sounds yum o!!!! But coffee hurts my tummy anymore. Gonna try that new folgers for sensitive stomachs.
Love, love, love the pics of the family!

BlondeBrony said...

What a great post.
I think we all know those kind of days. It is true that negative thoughts often come true, but the same can be said for positive thoughts.
I love the photos.

LaughterThoughts said...

aren't those days so refreshing? and you're right-- they definitely make up for all those not-so-happy-and-smooth days!

Anonymous said...

Those photos are so sweet! Love photos lol Glad you had such a great day with the kids

Anonymous said...

My hubby was stationed in the Azores and raved about the coffee and still does (13 years later). oh I love the photos ~ personally I like black and white and sepia, it just has such an old~fashioned look. I remember those grocery trips to the commissary (sp?) with 3 kids in tow and wondering if i would make it out alive. The time has speed by...and now my oldest is getting her own apartment, she's not gone yet, but I miss her already.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That coffe sounds great. I love the pictures. Thanks for sharing. Those kids are too sweet!!
((BIG HUGS))
Court

Pamela said...

Sandra, I love lots of milk in my coffee! We would get along great! Love the new decor and those pics are adorable! Can't wait to see the new ones. :)