Tuesday, January 29, 2008

There IS life outside of computers.....

You know it's so easy to get caught up on the computer and internet and blogging....let's face it, nowadays everything is done online, at least for me. Banking and paying bills, watching movies, buying things, learning things.....everything, you name it, you can find it online.

But it also takes away from what is around you, so this week I've made it a point to distance myself from the computer. I get on in the morning, check my email, do any bills or banking or whatever that has to be done, write my blog post and visit my readers and that's IT. I step out the rest of the day and do what has to be done around the house, and contrary to belief, I don't shrivel away in a corner or go crazy because I can't be online. It's as they say "everything in good measure".

I've found that instead of leaving my computer time to chance, I've scheduled it into my routine so that I know during those 2 hours that is my time and whatever I don't get to that day, will just have to wait until the morning.

The reason I'm even mentioning this is because I didn't realize how much around me I was missing out on, even just a simple thing as seeing the grass starting to peek through the stones outside in my front yard. Usually I would just step right on over on my way in and out of the house and not even notice.


The past few days I've really gotten into photographing the sky, there's just something about the way the clouds are displayed, sometimes fluffy huge ones, other times dark grey wisps stretching across the sky. So don't be surprised if you see daily sky photos here on my blog, at least until I'm over this current obsession :)

These two were taken last night as I took the dogs out, there was the threat of rain again and this is what it looked like:

See how the green leaves are starting to appear on this tree? Isn't it amazing.....a huge tree with nothing but bare branches and then a few scattered green leaves here and there.

Then this morning I got up and we have clear dark blue skies. They remind me a lot of the skies back home in South Africa so it makes me smile and then I had to snap this picture because I can't get over the huge palm tree in my front yard. It's HUGE and I'm always staring up at it with a mix of awe and fear LOL
I keep praying it's strong enough to withstand strong winds....LOL

Now moving on.........like I said, I'm taking time away from the computer and getting things done around here.

Remember this fabric?


I was having a hard time figuring out what to make with it, but I've finally made a choice. You're looking at my new comforter for my bed, I have enough to make it and I can't wait to see it finished, I'll show you the pictures once it's ready. If I have any scraps over, I'll probably use them together with some white fabric to make some patchwork pillows to match.

Yesterday afternoon, I had a ton of laundry, I literally dumped all my laundry baskets on my bed and brought out the ironing board. I turned on Lifetime Channel and while I ironed, folded and put the clothes away, I watched "Plain Truth", which is actually a movie made from Jodi Picoult's book about an Amish community and a young teenage girl that gets pregnant, hides the pregnancy from the family and community and then has the baby. The baby dies and her lawyer played by Mariska Hargitay (Law and Order) has to become her guardian and live in the community to try and prove her innocence.

As you know I'm also reading "Christy" right now, it's funny to read a book after you've seen the movie, there's scenes in there that never made it on screen and I feel should have, there's others that happen ONE way in the book and have been changed for the movie. I'm really enjoying the book though I have to say the only little thing bothering me so far is the way that David Grantland is being portrayed in the book, it's just not coinciding with the movie for me. Guess I'll have to see how I feel once I'm done.

Well, I'm going to sweep and mop my floors and make some more progress on my Comforter. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday.


Feeling - Inspired

Drinking - Water (Trying to loose weight and going for the 8 glasses a day goal)

Writing - Grocery lists and menus for the week to come

Thinking - that I can't wait to read the next pages in the "Christy" book

Contemplating - A sandwich or a salad for lunch

Knowing - that in about 3 months I'll be in South Africa

Listening - to Martha Stewart on the TV

Jumping - everytime the phone rings, it doesn't ring often so when it does it comes as surprise

Savoring - The Jane Austen Masterpiece Theatre movies

Resisting - The temptation to eat a candy bar

Eating - Nothing right now

Hiding - My worry over everything that has to be done for our trip

Feeling - amazed by the beauty in nature around us

17 comments:

lizzykristine said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog ~ I really enjoying coming over and reading through your posts!

jennwa said...

That is going to make a beautiful comforter, I can not wait to see it when it is finished.

heidi @ ggip said...

Although I LOVE my computer, I also love when I go away somewhere for a few days and don't have a computer.

It's an interesting balance.

Bonnie said...

Funny ... I've come to the same conclusion about my computer time and am doing the same thing. I'm getting up an hour before the kids do and doing the bulk of my time then. It's working well and I feel like I'm able to get lots done around the house. And funnily enough, I'm able to get the same amount done on line ... just in a shorter (much shorter) period of time !!

How do you get those tattered edges on your photos ? Do you use a special program ?

Mari said...

Beautiful pictures - love that blue sky. I like the way you are posting your pictures lately, with that old looking white edge.

Michelle said...

what beautiful fabric it will look on your bed.thanks for the blog visit.have a great day..

Mike Golch said...

Sandra,I just the photos.I can relate to trying to lose weight.One of my doctors once told me he wanted my down to 205 lbs,I told him that is what I weiged in the 11 grade.
And yes every day that see sober is a blessing.there are several more things in my life that I find to be blessing also,as you know since you have visited my blog site.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Wonderful pictures! I also love to take pictures of the sky and clouds and birds flying and planes soaring overhead and all sorts of combinations like that! I love yours and look forward to more :)

The fabric looks great, can't wait to see your new comforter!

Oh, how I wish I had known that Plain Truth had been made into a movie. I read that book by Jodi Picoult and will have to see if I can find it sometime on Lifetime. I bet it was good :)

Have a wonderful week!

Susanne said...

Great pics, Sandra. I can't believe your taking pics of the grass coming out and I'm in a deep freeze.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you make me yearn even more for my new camera! You've probably mentioned before, but is yours digital? If so, do you mind telling me how many megapixels? I'm having a hard time choosing!

Also, I watched the first episode of "Christy" tonight on your recommendation! (It was in my queue for a long time, but after your review I moved it up!) Oh be still my heart, I am in love with it all. I can't wait to watch the other 2 episodes! (And the other discs) I DID read your spoiler because I am the awful type of person that will glance at the last page of a book just to catch and see whose name is on it! BAD!

Great idea about the computer. I've been on it a lot less lately myself.

Sherry

AlaneM said...

I have such a hard time getting away from the computer...I really could spend all day sitting here & letting the kids just run around the house. I'll have to try your system. Then when I am on the computer maybe the kids won't be so grumpy about it cos they'll know it will be over soon.
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

There is life outside computers!! ;)

Lovely photos.

Hugs n' love
Sarah x

lifelaughterchaos said...

I too saw the movie Plain Truth...I thought it was very good. You don't always have that in a lifetime movie;)

Thanks for the computer time reminder. I am so drawn to mine...I'm trying to get better at leaving it alone during the day, but it is a stress reliever for me to read about the lives of others. SO here I am again reading on line when I should be working on something else of importance!

Have a great day!

Lulu said...

i love that fabric, its so pretty...
love the pics also..

An Ordinary Mom said...

What a fabulous and insightful post! I too, have been trying to spend less time on the computer lately and I like the balance it is bringing back to my life.

Sandy said...

Great post. Great pictures. It's COLD where we live, though. Come see our snow!

smilnsigh said...

Your Subject Line... It's thought which is going around Pretty Blog Land. And it's even landed on me. I have an entry about ready to post. I use the analogy of a leaf... being taken down the river.

Well, anyway, I'm trying to get some sort of a handle on my Net time. Which mostly is my blog time, these days. Trying.

I wonder if I can develop as much strength as you do though..... Mmmm..... Your plan, is a wonderful goal.

Mari-Nanci