Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Will it ever end????

I hate these seasonal colds and flus, they seem to stick around, hiding in the shadows and jumping out once every few weeks to knock you flat on your behind. Although I guess this time I can't place full blame on those, just indirectly because I think this one came from the kid that was over for Jasmine's sleepover......you know the one that kept me up all night coughing and then told me that she had been really sick with a cold and a fever????

Well I believe she gave whatever she had to Jasmine and then yesterday it started raining really hard when school let out and instead of waiting for me, she just walked home. This morning she woke up saying her body hurt, when I went to feel her she was burning up.

Great, school just started back up on monday and she's already absent.....but what can I do, I can't send her in with a high fever.

She's been in bed all day, coughing, headache and a fever of 103 that crept up during the afternoon, I had to do the whole lukewarm bath, cool washcloth etc and then I had to fight with her about not throwing on a gazillion blankets because it would just make it worse. But really how strong can you be when your child looks glossy eyed and is sitting there full of goosebumps crying that her body hurts and she's freezing????

This being a parent thing is definitely not for the weak of heart, I tell you!

She's on the couch right now, just laying there with that expression like you see on the picture above...just breaks my hearts :(

So dinner tonight was Homemade Chicken Soup and then I tried to make an Orange Cake. Ok let me tell you about this cake, I have made it so many times before when I was in South Africa, it was one of those real easy and fast recipes that always tasted like you had been in the kitchen all day long.

I can't for the life of me find my recipe so I went online and found another which was not exactly the same but hey, beggars can't be choosers and all that yada yada.......I set to work, fixed the cake and then spent an hour........AN.HOUR........going back and forth with the oven trying to get the cake to cook through. I gave up! The cake came out looking like a blop of sticky goo and I'm frustrated and annoyed. BUT I'm not giving up, no sirree, I'm going to have myself orange cake no matter what....now I'm going to try a different recipe.....right now, yes you heard me, you got something to say???? LOL Didn't think so!

I've had this one sitting around for a while and what better time than now to try it right? (Yes I said now, I know, but you don't understand I really need orange cake)





* 4 eggs, separated
* 500 ml (2 cups) sugar
* 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
* 1 tbsp. baking powder
* 500 ml (2 cups) freshly squeezed orange juice


1.Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease and flour a 13 X 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan.


2. In bowl and using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff.


3. In a separate large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar. In another bowl, sift together flour and baking powder; add to yolk mixture alternately with 1 cup (250 mL) orange juice, making three additions of dry and two of wet. Fold in egg whites. Pour into prepared cake pan.


4. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.


5. After removing cake from the oven, use a fork to pierce holes on top of the cake and pour remaining orange juice on top. Cool cake in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares to serve.

*************************************

I'll bring you some when I come visit your blogs later ok??? And I promise to share the photos tomorrow.

Right now, I'm a woman on a mission...... with a big slice of orange cake as a reward. *snicker*

I'm going to give Jasmine her medicine again, make sure she's getting plenty of fluids and get her to bed, then I'll deal with Nicholas so that I can be all nice and comfy in bed by the time Wife Swap and Super Nanny start.......oh and I can't forget the new Ghost Hunters premiering tonight. YAY!
Of course between all this I'll be trying to finish "Redeeming Love".....LOVE it!

Good night everyone, sleep tight, don't let the orange cake bite hahahahah (I just can't get it off my mind...UGH)

God Bless,

13 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

Being sick is AWFUL!

However, orange cake is great! I don't believe I have ever made it before. Baking flops make for good blogging though!

jennwa said...

I hope your daughter is feeling better soon. Last year somone in my family was sick from Thanksgiving to spring it seemed like. I thought it would never end. This year we had flu shots, I do not know if it helps but we have not really been sick at all this winer. Maybe it is just the unseasonably warm weather.
That cake looked good, that should help anyone feel better.

Anonymous said...

Is Grandma Chiquinha's Orange Cake the recipe that worked or the one that didn't? I haven't heard of orange cake but it sounds good. I'd rather you be the guinea pig, though. ;+) I bake too rarely.

Unknown said...

Don't believe I have ever had orange cake but sounds good, leave me a slice if you come to visit ok??

the said...

Your little one looks so sad :( Its no fun being sick especially when your young . Im going to make that cake this weekend, thanks for the recipe !

Mari said...

Oh No! I'm sorry another bug has come to visit!
I'm looking forward to that cake - it looks good. Redeeming Love is a wonderful book - I know you'll enjoy it.

Jillina said...

man i hate it when this thing deletes my comments!

ANYWAYS--Hope you guys get to feeling better soon!!

As for the cake, I would just be lazy and make a cornbread cake with orange zest and maybe some oj concentrate added in. -.- sounds yummy.

good luck with the cake :)

Bonnie said...

Aww. poor little darlin' ! I hope she is feeling better soon ! It's awful when they feel so yucky ! (for them and for the mommy !! )

Your orange cake looks delicious ! Hope the second one turns out better than the first one did !!

Anonymous said...

Aww poor Jasmine I hope she feels better soon. There are a gazillion bugs floating around here in England - I have my kids in spacesuits to try and avoid getting them ;) lol I wish I could do that actually put them in those plastic suits that stop the germs getting in that you see on films like Outbreak and E.T. Sorry rambling now. Enjoy your orange cake.

Hugs.

Cheri said...

I just don't understand when people who are sick still go around other people and expose them- how frustrating. Hope she feels better soon. The cake sounds wonderful!

Courtney said...

Awww! Look at her. Poor thing!! Same here though. Everything is going around & I seem to get rid of one just to welcome (well not really welcome but...) another! If my kids are sick I take them nowhere. Besides the fact I don't want them exposed to anything worse but for the respect of others. That's just so frustrating when other parents don't do the same.

Courtney said...

P.S. Bring me some cake pleeeease!
Yum!!

Jenileigh said...

I pray she is better soon, the cake looks scrumptious!