Sunday, December 07, 2014

Blogmas 2014 - Day 7 Handmade Christmas


If there is one thing I really like, aside from the whole Christmas season, is handmade gifts.

Now I'm not saying that I don't like bought gifts, but I have always found that handmade mean that much more to me because the person took time and effort to put something together, thinking of me and what I like.  Nothing can beat that.

Every year I try to give something homemade, many times because money is tight, but mostly because I enjoy making things myself.

I am not sure if I'm making anything this year, everyone is pretty much shopped for and done, so if I do make something it will be just an extra.

For myself, my favorite things to get as handmade gifts are scarves, mittens, hats, body scrubs, liqueur of any kind, items for the house such as cross stitch samplers etc, and of course baked goods.  I will never say no to those.

Since I don't have anything yet planned for this year, and if I do I will certainly come back and share with you, I will just go ahead and show you what I've given previous years.

One of my favorite things to give, and one that is always loved are......

Photo candles.  They are so easy to make and you could personalize them however you wish.  I have a tutorial up if you want to give it a go.

2011_11120045

Book page Jars - this is another that you can completely personalize according to the person's tastes.

2011_11140018

2011_11140016

Lemon Sugar Scrub - This is a great gift for the ladies on your list.  I actually need to make myself some more for the kitchen.

Lemon Sugar Scrub

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Body Scrub - I love this stuff, I have given it away as gifts previous years too.

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Scrub

Crocheted Pincushions - Another very quick and easy project to make and it makes cute gifts too.

Crocheted Pincushion

Super cute dish mat - Another very quick project and a great gift for a kitchen themed present or for someone who you know loves being in the kitchen as much as I do.

Patchwork Dish Mat

Pumpkin Chocolate Loaf - These were a hit when I gave them out as presents two years ago.


Pumpkin Chocolate Loaf

Christmas Fruit Cake - This was also a hit and even those who are not fans of fruit cake, enjoyed it.

Fruit Cake

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies - These were a huge hit with the teachers when I gave it to them as Christmas presents back in 2008.

Photobucket

Shortbread and Pecan Shortbread - Another great gift and easy to make

Shortbread

Shortbread

Knitted Dishcloths - Always a hit with the ladies

November 16

Crocheted Dishcloths - These are so pretty, I have a few myself and actually think I am going to make a few more.

Flower Dishcloths

Crocheted Creeper Scarf - My son used to love Minecraft so I made him this scarf a few years ago, he still has it.

2012_12250013

Crocheted Doctor Who Hat - My daughter of course, being the crazy raging Whovian as we all are here at home, I made her the hat a few years ago too.  It doesn't fit her anymore but she still has it.

2012_12250016

And there you have it.....just an idea of the things I usually make when I do handmade gifts.  I would love to know what you do and if you have patterns or tutorials even better.

Let's help each other out this Christmas season and give some extra special gifts :)


15 comments:

janie said...

Thanks for the gift ideas. I agree handmade are the best.

Is it possible to post the chocolate pumpkin loaf recipe? It looks so yummy!!

Enjoy the day, Janie

janie said...

Me again....I clicked on the title and it brought me to the recipe.

Thanks, Janie

V.A said...

That mine craft scarf is awesome! My Daughter loves mine craft!

threesidesofcrazy said...

Love your list! So many fun ideas.

Sarah said...

My two love Mine Craft too.

You make such beautiful things, they're better than shop-bought anyway!

I love your gifts, so pretty. Hugs. x

Amy at love made my home said...

Some great and original ideas there Sandra which is great! Thank you for sharing. xx

Unknown said...

Love the hand made gifts you shared - and I TOTALLY forgot about the "goodies" that I've given over the years - cookies, banana bread, fudge, etc. I LOVE the knitted and crocheted dish cloths! I have a few and received one last year from a friend...thanks for sharing! Love reading what crafty things others are doing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my....you are so creative! And I'm getting fat just thinking of making all of the delicious recipes you're recommending! That pumpkin chocolate bread looks DELICIOUS!!!! I'm going to make it tomorrow! [I make a chocolate zucchini cake which is HEAVENLY.....]....am going to come back tomorrow when I have more time and transcribe your recipes in to my recipe folder (I like to hand write them in there so my daughter and her daughter (assuming she has children!) will have a little bit of 'me')....

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I have always loved reading your yummy gift recipes from all the time I've followed you. You have such yummy ideas!!

I'm so jealous of your ability to knit so well also - I really want to learn, as it's such a wonderful way to give a personalized gift.

I've never tried to make a sugar scrub - but what a great idea to give with other pampering goodies for a fun spa like gift.

Thanks for great inspiration as always Hon! ;)

Deb J. in Utah said...

Such great ideas! Thank you! I made pillow cases for my grandkids - I show them off on my blog post today! Enjoy this glorious time of year celebrating the Savior's birth!

Anonymous said...

Such great gift ideas!! My mom, daughter and niece all Crochete, something I could never get interested in, but I love the finished products!! It's nice when thought and time gets put into a gift.

Liz said...

You are so creative! I love your gifts that you have have made. Maybe one of these days, I'll get adventurous and do something like one of these.

Penny (A Penny For Your Thoughts) said...

What great gift ideas!!

Jhona O. said...

My daughter(and sons) love Dr. Who. My daughter is crazy about it all...she wants footie pjs. The boys just like the show, ha ha! I really want a sewing machine...I think the dish mats are delightful and would make great gifts. I think I might need to crochet a mine craft scarf soon :)

Susanne said...

Talented gal you are! Love the book page candle.